6P malkoff drop in help

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a 6P.

I have heard a lot about how good the Malkoff M60 modules are, i was just wondering what the best way to power these would be, if its an 18650 cell will this fit into the Surefire 6P or is the only choice CR123 primary cells

Its my first surefire and i havent even got it yet but already want to upgrade it.

Also is it really gonna be 235 lumens, cus that will be brighter then my TK11, and i will be extra happy if it is:D

matt0

Enlightened
You can run it off either 2 CR123's or 2 3.7v RCR123's. You cannot fit an 18650 in a 6P. IIRC, the M60 was designed to accept 3.6-9V. I believe there is an M30 which isn't listed on the Malkoff site. It is optimized for a single Li-Ion battery such as 17670 (or 18650 if you have a body that will accept one)

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok CR123's it is then.

what about the lumens rating, what will the runtime be like, if its 30 mins or sumthing stupid i dont want it lol, ill get the M60L

Cheers

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M60 goes at least 1.5 hours on my 2 year old chinese batterystation cells before output drops, I wouldn't be surprised if some really good cells approached 2 hours.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had a look a while ago, 30 dollars delivery to the UK:sigh:

Anyone else distribute these, im gessing not because they are not made in large quantities

joco

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Abarth_1200,

In another thread, cpf member MrGman has tested the M60 in an integrating sphere and got 220 lumens. I think that he said it dropped down about 1 percent over time.

I have an M60 and an M30, and they're absolutely great. Like them enough that I have bought six others for friends in the military and trainers. Also, I noticed that Gene has lowered the price on the devices by about $10.

John

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
yet another CPF member deighted with their Malkoff drop in but 45 plus 30 dollars=$75 which is very steep, i would be more happy paying the 45 plus say $5 delivery,

i have put a WTB in the marketplace so ill just sit and wait.

damn i really want this drop in now

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
You can order a custom M30 from gene that will run on one CR123 or one 18650. As for the M60, you can run it with RCR123 but you'll get a little less run time, say maybe an hour. I can run mine for a little more than 90 minutes in primary CR123, but I think if you get premium batteries you can run more time.
$30 may be a little bit steep for shipping, but IMO, it's worth it. Well, almost all packages sent abroad is expensive. I have given friends M60s and all of them enjoys it.

Moka

Enlightened
I'm in australia and I've got an M60L they are wonderful! Well worth the price and shipping (shipping is VERY fast)
And as for runtimes the times on the site are at full power... then dimming output thereafter... Well worth the Dosh...
You really won't regret it

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Malkoffs. I have an M60, which is a real pocket rocket. M30, Gene Malkoff said he was getting requests from 3P owners. IIRC it's based around the M60L, as the driver won't efficiently drive the full 225 lumen output. Which I believe - Precisionworks said he got 227 torch lumens in his sphere, so you've got some corroboration.

Also, these things are bright enough that without a diffuser, you will blind yourself when working up close.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I snagged a Malkoff M60 from the MarketPlace awhile back. It has given my Surefire C2 new life! Worth every penny. :twothumbs

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Precisionworks said he got 227 torch lumens in his sphere, so you've got some corroboration.
My testing in the recalibrated IS showed a bit lower ... 192 out the front in my 6P. However, MrGman, who has a commercial IS where he works, said this "The Malkoff M60 and M60F may be 235 lumens without a flashlight host's lens in front but what I measured from my Surefire 6P host was 220." He thinks that my M60 may have some lumen falloff from extended use, but my uncalibrated eyes cannot tell the diff between 192 & 220.:D

joco

Newly Enlightened
yet another CPF member deighted with their Malkoff drop in but 45 plus 30 dollars=$75 which is very steep, i would be more happy paying the 45 plus say $5 delivery,

i have put a WTB in the marketplace so ill just sit and wait.

damn i really want this drop in now

I have to agree that $75 is a bunch of money, but the above enthusiastic responses from M60 owners are all from people who paid (at minimum) only $7.00 less than you would. I have to say that after owning a few, they are worth every dime of $75. But - don't tell Gene.

John

joco

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Malkoffs. I have an M60, which is a real pocket rocket. M30, Gene Malkoff said he was getting requests from 3P owners. IIRC it's based around the M60L, as the driver won't efficiently drive the full 225 lumen output. Which I believe - Precisionworks said he got 227 torch lumens in his sphere, so you've got some corroboration.

Also, these things are bright enough that without a diffuser, you will blind yourself when working up close.

Actually, my M30 is at least as bright to my eyes as my M60, maybe even a shade brighter, so I'm fairly sure it's not based on the M60L.

I'm waiting for an M60F with a slightly narrower spread on the beam for my next purchase. Somewhere between the M60 and the current M60F.

John

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Just six months ago, Gene's output was lower & demand was extraordinary. IIRC, my first M60 was $85 on the secondary market, when Gene sold them for $68. If he stopped making them today, the price would creep back up towards $80.

The M60 has a useful beam pattern ... as does the Nautilus & Aeon ... as does the 120P ... and the LunaSol 20, etc. If you decide not to buy the $45 M60, send me a PM & I'll buy it right away.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, i have just looked at my bank balance and my bonus has gone through, i already have a Nitecore extreme, EX10 a Fenix P1C and the Surefire 6P on there way to me in the post, do i really want to get the M60.

Still got a big hump about the price just to post the damn thing, i could get a Fenix E20 for that money...:sigh:.

Has anyone else bought one from Gene, how long did it take to arrive in the UK?