Mini M@g P7'd with BHC head

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
Here is my mini mag with a BHC head and SSC P7 SWO

023.jpg

032.jpg

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
Direct drive off a 14500/14670, both measured 1.7A from tail cap switch.

Looking for a driver to push it to the limits. Any suggestions on a P7 driver with OD around 16mm?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Direct drive off a 14500/14670, both measured 1.7A from tail cap switch.

Looking for a driver to push it to the limits. Any suggestions on a P7 driver with OD around 16mm?

A driver won't help. The cell is already supplying all it can within the limits of its internal resistance. You need a more capacious battery scheme to need/take advantage of a driver.

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
well If I get the right driver, then I can use a regular 2AA mini mag body running 2x 14500 or even a 3AA body with 3xAAs or 2x14670.

So this set up is pretty flexable if I can fine the right driver.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Well if you were considering 3AA anyway, what about direct drive eneloops?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is definitely a cool mod!

Unfortunately, the 3AA body, which is an LED model, won't mate with a regular Minimag head, which, of course, the BHC is a replacement for. I forget if it's different dimensions, thread pitch, or both.

What you can look into though, is having someone cut an extension from another Minimag body, and simply screw it onto the back end this one. I'm running such a setup for my 2 X 14670, H1499 mod w/FM turbohead. If you go for something like that, beware that 14670's are flat top, and you'll want to make the extension a few extra millimeters beyond the increased length of the batts since you'll likely need something for contact between the batts, and at the top of the tube. I strongly suggest against anything that's not insulated on the sides, and can slip, shorting the batts... like bare magnets.

I'm curious about some aspects of your light. How do you turn it on/off? Any heatsinking? Is there any space in the BHC for a driver? Can you snap some pics of the insides?

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
This is definitely a cool mod!

Unfortunately, the 3AA body, which is an LED model, won't mate with a regular Minimag head, which, of course, the BHC is a replacement for. I forget if it's different dimensions, thread pitch, or both.

What you can look into though, is having someone cut an extension from another Minimag body, and simply screw it onto the back end this one. I'm running such a setup for my 2 X 14670, H1499 mod w/FM turbohead. If you go for something like that, beware that 14670's are flat top, and you'll want to make the extension a few extra millimeters beyond the increased length of the batts since you'll likely need something for contact between the batts, and at the top of the tube. I strongly suggest against anything that's not insulated on the sides, and can slip, shorting the batts... like bare magnets.

I'm curious about some aspects of your light. How do you turn it on/off? Any heatsinking? Is there any space in the BHC for a driver? Can you snap some pics of the insides?

Well this BHC head can fit both old and new (led version) mini mags, So all I have to do is to get a 3AA led mini mag's body to go with it.

I can fit a driver of around 5mm thick inside under the brass heatsink I made for the P7, as long as the driver has <16mm OD.

As for the on/off, as mentioned by H22A (the original seller/designer of the BHC head) the BHC mantains the twist on/off funtion. But I have got a reverse clicky tail switch for my mini mag as on/off switch.

Last edited:

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
Well if you were considering 3AA anyway, what about direct drive eneloops?

Yes, I am sure 3AA minh will work fine, but my main concern was to find a small enough driver that will drive the P7 to at least 2.8A. The only reason I will ever consider changing the battery setting is when I need more Vin to drive the P7 harder, which in this case will have to wait till I find the right driver.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well this BHC head can fit both old and new (led version) mini mags, So all I have to do is to get a 3AA led mini mag's body to go with it.

there were 2 versions of that head made. the regular incan head will only fit incan bodies. the LED version will fit both ( if memory serves me correct - you can check with member H22A - he made them )

missionaryman

Enlightened
pretty cool mod, I thought I saw Saphion type (Li-Fe-PO4) cells in a 14500 (AA) body somewhere but I must be wrong because I can't find them again.
If they did exist they would be the answer to your problem, you can get them in CR123 size though so you could do a similar mod with a single CR123 body light direct drive off one of those cells - very short run time.

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
pretty cool mod, I thought I saw Saphion type (Li-Fe-PO4) cells in a 14500 (AA) body somewhere but I must be wrong because I can't find them again.
If they did exist they would be the answer to your problem, you can get them in CR123 size though so you could do a similar mod with a single CR123 body light direct drive off one of those cells - very short run time.

A Li-Fe CR123 sounds good, I might be able to mod a P7 with a single CR123 twisty host just for breaking the record of "smallest P7 mods"?? haha.....

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
A Li-Fe CR123 sounds good, I might be able to mod a P7 with a single CR123 twisty host just for breaking the record of "smallest P7 mods"?? haha.....

Here's the one to beat.....

Img_1507.jpg

Img_1478.jpg

Part of beating the record is not just smaller but it must be the same brighteness or brighter. I'm running a Triflupic. :wave::nana:

Hmm, where's my CR2 twistie? :thinking:

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
What battery does it take?

Any chance of making a Triflupic drop in for me?

Last edited:

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, a Triflupic will not fit in a Minimag unless there's room in that head for the driver. The Triflupic measured 0.77" in diameter.

Thats perfect size, i fact the space where I have my P7 situated is on a brass tablet measuring 20mm OD with with 11mm in long!!!

Any chance of getting a qoute for the driver?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thats perfect size, i fact the space where I have my P7 situated is on a brass tablet measuring 20mm OD with with 11mm in long!!!

Any chance of getting a qoute for the driver?

I only have one left that I need for a project. Eric sells the TriFlupics for $40. Last I checked it showed 0 in stock. You'd have to contact Eric (Bogus1) & ask him.

That's gonna be an awsome light if you get one in there! :thumbsup:

thomashct

Newly Enlightened
Ledninja,
thanks for the detail info!

I guess I am going to have to pick up eneloop to try, will let you know if I get any better. I have tried with 3 energizer b4 but its no better then 1 li-ion.

But what I have found is using an unprotected 14650 li-ion gave me the best result at around 2.1A.