Does anybody make a luxeon headlight?

bwcaw

Enlightened
I am looking for a nice bright led headlight. It would be nice if it was at least as bright as the PT aurora, but I don't want a multiple led light. I want a single 1 watt luxeon light. Does anyone make such a light? It would also be nice if it was regulated, and dimmable too. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe our very own Elecktrolumens makes a LS headlight.
http://elektrolumens.com/LS_HEADLAMP/LS_Headlamp.html
LS_Headlamp.1.jpg

shipinretech

Enlightened
The big problem with making a Luxeon headlamp is the power to weight ratio. You can either build a lightweight unit that is not very powerful or you can build a full powered device that is relatively heavy. If you make a light weight unit, it better be underpowered because driving a Luxeon at full power without full heatsinking is bad business. Either the LED is going to overheat and fail unpredictably or you are going to inadvertantly use your customer's noggins as heatsinks. While some businesses may think that an appropriate use for their customer's body parts, we at InReTech value our customers more!

At InReTech we know that many of our customers are attractive, hardworking, intelligent, and have their tort lawyer's number on speeddial. Consequently, we make it a key design principle to never invite that call by causing smoking holes in customer's foreheads.

What I am saying is this, you should either prepare to carry a professional grade, heavy duty housing for a Luxeon headlamp or underdrive the Luxeon substantially. The heavy duty model may be uncomfortable, expensive, and inconvenient, but it will not fail and it will not harm you. If you try running a Luxeon at anything near full power without proper heatsinking next to vital portions of your anatomy, you risk parts failure and pain.

We would like to produce a headlamp using a high power LED solution, but we do not feel that we have the capacity to do so well right now. Of course, we may solve that problem soon...

tonyb

Enlightened
I'm working on the tonyb microlux headlight right now! It will be small, bright, and dimmable and only use one small strap around your head. I debating if I should make it focuable. Here is a Preliminary Pic of step up electonics with dimmer control and emitter with heatsink.
hlight1.JPG

hlight2.JPG