A headlamp using RCR123A cells?

Zentech

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a successor to my Petzl Myo (4xAA, old ledless version) and since most of the flashlights I have run on 3.6V RCR123A it would be nice to find a headlamp that runs on them too. Zebralight H30 fits the bill, but I'm wondering whether there are other choises available.

The main use for the light is hiking/camping in subarctic and subtropical climates and price range up to 100€ (~160US$)

-Z

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...since most of the flashlights I have run on 3.6V RCR123A it would be nice to find a headlamp that runs on them too. Zebralight H30 fits the bill, but I'm wondering whether there are other choises available...

first off, a proper welcome: welcome aboard! glad to have you here.

PrincetonTec Apex Pro (2x[R]CR123A) - i've run once on RCR's; another has posted recently that he does it all the time. there is a supposedly interim '08 upgraded version available now (80lumen max o.p.) at www.brightguy.com here in the good ol' USofA. at least check it out there. i have it and it is noticeably brighter than the earlier model years 60lumen version.

however, the scuttlebutt is that this is just an interim version, and supposedly in AUGUST '08 to keep pace w/the new Cree-based '08 BD Icon and '08 Petzl Myo XP (both run on 3xAA) PTec will release a Luxeon Rebel-based Apex (4xAA) and ApexPro (2xCR123A - will it take 2xRCR123A? - don't know, but the '08 and earlier 3W Luxeon [non-Rebel] ApexPro's can.

another possibility, and it's a real easy mod to do for anyone who can solder is to take any 4xAA headlamp and remote a 2x[R]CR123A battery box, or replace the headstrap mounted 4xAA battery box w/a headstrap 2x[R]CR123A battery box. just be sure to weather seal the box and cable for use in inclement weather. i've done this mod several times to different HLs.

while NOT RCR, another Li-ion solution is to use 1x17670 in a Streamlight ArgoHP (get the '08 version which uses a Cree & is ~2x as bright as the '07 and earlier model year's version).

hope this info helps.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the PT Apex since they came out and it's one of the few keepers in my light collection. Someone here modified one to use 2xLi-Ions and the pro will run on 2xRCR's. The LED is easy to swap out so they'll never go out dated if you're capable of soldering. Highly recommend the Apex or Apex pro.