38,000 Non-Citizens in Armed Forces?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never being in the service, I'm not sure of the rules or the Code of Military Conduct or anything related to citizenship and being in the armed forces BUT how does someone pledge allegiance to a country that they are not citizens of?

Will someone shed some light on this process, please.

Marty

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, once you're in the service, when you get out, you're basically automatically a citizen... Just a few weeks ago, 2 guys were awarded citizenship posthumously...

There are a lot of people who joined the military to become citizens.

paulr

Flashaholic
That's how the French Foreign Legion works (guaranteed French citizenship for 5 years of service) but I don't think the US operates like that. It's been suggested.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bush has already signed into law a bill that expedited the naturalization process for noncitizens who are serving in the military.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Military Service is the fast track to US Citizenship. It is as old as this country. My Grandfather fought the Germans in France in 1918 and was was awarded his citzenship upon his return. Raised a family afterwards. Many other people throughout our nations history weren't so lucky but thought that the risk was worth the reward.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My feeling is: if you're willing to die for the United States, you should be granted Citizenship.

I just went through naturalization a few months ago (lived in the US since I was 2 years old), and I can't tell you how "empowered" I felt afterwards. Started sending notes and recommendations to my representatives. Kind'a thought why I hadn't done it beforehand, but I have been waiting for years to get a chance to vote and be counted in the political process. I was unsure of becoming a US Citizen until the 2000 Elections. That did it, and since then, I had been eagerly waiting. I got fed up of voter "apathy". The only apathy I'll be expressing is not getting to the voting booths any quicker...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Cool deal. The new citizens here are the ones that bring new ideas, interests, and effort into things. Welcome and congratulations!!

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I served (Army 1983-1986) with a lot of non-citizens--mostly from Latin America (Honduras, Dominican Republic, etc.). Wasn't the son of that warlord in Mogadishu a US soldier or Marine?

There have been some interesting articles recently in The Economist and elsewhere about how immigration to the US and our higher birthrate compared to the EU will help keep us demographically younger and economically and militarily stronger. Economically, the younger generation will help bear the pension costs associated with the baby boomers and help support markets for long term assets (when the boomers or their heirs start selling houses etc.). Militarily, we will have more young people to serve in our armed forces, which will help us protect our interests internationally.

I'm all for imigration. My wife's family business hires a lot of immigrants whom they recruit through local ESL programs. The immigrants I've known personally are generally more motivated and harder working than most of my friends whe were born hear. Our good fortune is lost on most of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you have to be a permanent resident, or permanent alien, something like that, a "green card" holder, in order to join the US military. Currently it reduces the time you have to live in the US to become a citizen. The two KIA's had their process sped up at the request of President Bush to the INS. He is also pushing to make it much faster and easier for a veteran to become a citizen. And that is the way it should be. Why should a person who was just lucky enough to have been born here, have more rights or priveliges than a person willing to fight and die for this country?