Glo-toobs - Would they be OK for a dog collar?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everybody,

As I continuously try to justify my new found addiction, I was wondering...

Glo-Toobs: http://www.lapolicegear.com/glotoob.html

Can anyone comment on the size and generally if they would be suited for use on dog collars for night time safety and visibility? "Lithium" Toobs vs. the "FX" n cell..? Will the strobe affect my dogs' vision? Was thinking of just clipping them on w "key chain" beaners when I let them out after dark. :candle:

I have 2 crazy border-collie/collie mixes who like to disappear at night into the woods when we are away in the country - the Glo-Toobs seem like they would be a great way for keeping track of my dogs in the woods (was thinking of a different color for each dog - blue and green) while also keeping them visible to others in the off chance that they wander into a street or the yard of a trigger-happy fellow who thinks they are coyotes... :mecry: They also like to go swimming at night in our river and I know the Glo-Toobs are waterproof...

Anyway, what do you all think - will they be too cumbersome for my guys? From the weight and measurements they seem rather compact but I'd still like some input from those of you who actually have them...

Thanks as always!!!

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I have several of the lithium glo-toobs and when I bought them I was thinking the same thing about using them for dog collars, but in my opinion they are too big. I have a couple of labs and while the glo-toobs may fit on the collars they seem to dangle too far down. I don't know if they interfere with the movement of the dog's legs but I don't like the way they look.

For spotting my dogs I use the colored button-cell lights that Lighthound used to sell for $1.00 each. They are not nearly as durable as the glo-toobs but they are very visible from a long way away and they are very lightweight. A lot of people at the dog park we go to have commented on them. I can spot my dogs from at least .25 to .5 miles away.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I say that would be a fine idea, except possibly for the strobe part.
:shrug: Maybe they would be ok with it maybe not, you'll have to try and see. As far as size weight and durability, they would be great in this role.
EDIT: I should of specified N cell!

Last edited:

barkingmad

Enlightened
They are too big - well unless your dog was more like a horse!

Nite-Ize do a LED SpotLit that seems to work well on my pooch.

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
I agree they are too big/heavy to hang from a collar. Perhaps if your dogs are large and wear harnesses and you can affix a glo-toob to the back/shoulder area where it wouldn't shift/swing around, but I wouldn't have one hanging off their neck.

FenglerF1

Newly Enlightened
I would have to disagree, but I use to have a Lab/Pit Bull mix(best dog ever) that was ~80 lbs. The Glo-Toob Fx that runs on the a23 battery fit fine on him. I set it to the ramping strobe that goes from 25% to 100% but never off. I used it when I walked him at night, even though he was on a leash it makes me feel better.

Last edited:

barkingmad

Enlightened
My dog is a Golden Retriever - not huge but a (new lithium) glo-toob would look far too large (I tried it!) and is quite heavy.

The (older alkaline) Glo-Toob you mentioned is a bit smaller but IMHO still too large as it would dangle in water, food.. everything.

The Nite Ize SpotLit with the mini-clip works well - they are only about $5-6 and use 2x cheap CR2016 batteries.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For spotting my dogs I use the colored button-cell lights that Lighthound used to sell for $1.00 each. They are not nearly as durable as the glo-toobs but they are very visible from a long way away and they are very lightweight. A lot of people at the dog park we go to have commented on them. I can spot my dogs from at least .25 to .5 miles away.

that's a good solution, get them for 47 cents each and sand the led a bit to produce diffused light. They work even under water. Hang one on your dog's collar that's like giving him his own flashlight.

Beer

Enlightened
I like to use the INOVA keychain light on my dogs colar.

I use the blue one for good visability, set it to blink. VIOLA!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input so far :twothumbs

The inexpensive "button" lights are a great idea but the strobe feature is a key selling point to me. And how waterproof are they?

Maybe I should clarify that this wouldn't be affixed to the collars 24/7 - it would really just be on when they go out at night. Also my boys are good sized at about 75 lbs.

I think I might just buy one of the "FX" N cell Glo-Toob to give it a try as $19 isn't too bad... I guess I'm really trying to sell myself on the tubes and looking for excuses :naughty:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inexpensive "button" lights are a great idea but the strobe feature is a key selling point to me. And how waterproof are they?

They aren't waterproof at all, but are basically a 5mm led stuck on two coin cells, so they can be soaking wet and still work. I've taped one on my fishing line so I know where my line is at night, and after being submerged (and full of water) for nealy an hour they still work fine.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
but I use to have a Lab/Pit Bull mix(best dog ever) that was ~80 lbs.

:rock: That's my kind of dog! I've got an 85 pound pit, lab, rottweiler and retreiver super mutt. Sorry to go off topic.

Do they make anything like these Glo-toobs that take aa or aaa?

bullterrier

Enlightened
got a Photon Freedom Micro Red on my dog a 66 pound bullterrier *****.
I us to have 2 The Nite Ize SpotLit but she broke both of them.

Last edited:

Pistolero

Enlightened
I would love a cheap, 1AA colored light with strobe option. Those are handy when going out for a nighttime walk.

An AA - GloToob would be GREAT.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken my Photon II's into the shower with me during hurricane induced blackouts and they don't skip a beat. They'll operate fine even flooded with fresh water. However a few months later it did become intermittent due to some corrosion on the LED legs, a quick cleaning and all was well.