Sky Lumen        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cure for flashoholism

Default A cure for flashoholism

I've discovered a cure, unintentionally. This assumes that the definition of flashoholism is the idea of always wanting more and better lights. Here's what I discovered:

While noticing that I have quite a stockpile of old batteries that are simply going to die of old age if I don't use them up first, I decided to use my old lights (2D kryton, 2C krypton) lights around the house to use up those old batteries that wouldn't otherwise get used. Normally, I favor AA and AAA LEDs for everything. While using my older lights around the house for several weeks, I started getting used to them and realizing through experience that they really are perfectly fine! Ok, not as much of a joy as the LEDs, but still just fine. And using these lights (and being satisfied using them) while having my superior LEDs waiting for their time to shine makes me realize that if I already have older lights that are proving themselves worthy, and much better lights already on hand, why do I need more???

So put away your 100 lumen retina burners and try using your $5 lights (at least around the house) for about a month. You may be surprised how you feel differently about them afterwards.
    Minimag with niteize LED (2), River Rock 2AAA (2), River Rock 2AA, Brinkmann 3AAA LED headlamp, ROV Roughneck 2D, Inova keychain LED, Performance Tool 3AAA.

Default Re: A cure for flashoholism

I use my $15 light, the E01 quite frequently. But when I need a boost, dang that D10 can kick it up a few notches!!!

The beauty of having a light that can do it all - super low to super bright.

I think my NiteCore D10 has cured me for a while. I can see no other lights that will ursurp its position as EDC king for quite a while.

Of course, you can never say never...
    Mini split rings for attaching lanyard trick. D10 DIY diffuser trick.

Flashaholic

Try RC helicopters......

Running around 50$ a crash + = no more money for lights

But I am getting beter so havent crashed in awhile light bug is biting again......But DOH!!!! some beter stuff for the RC is as I put it a good idea "Domestic Financial Engineer {reads lady}" says NO.

Add this to the fact that I havent seen anything new i awhile that really blows my skirt up.

So moral of the story is if you have a "spending habbit" get a significant other who doesnt share your passion for your hobbies kinda cures it.
    Last edited by fireboltr; 07-31-2008 at 02:08 PM.

My problem is bigger than I thought. I cannot go back. My lights have all been upgraded with Q5, SSC P4-U, R2 + multiples of them.

I tried that.... The cure only reinforced the sickness.

Last edited by kramer5150; 07-31-2008 at 02:20 PM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

roflmao kramer...

Mini split rings for attaching lanyard trick. D10 DIY diffuser trick.

Quote Originally Posted by fireboltr View Post
    Try RC helicopters......

LOL fireboltr!

If you are married tell her how much all you're dozens of lights are costing you.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDrock View Post
    I've discovered a cure, unintentionally. This assumes that the definition of flashoholism is the idea of always wanting more and better lights. Here's what I discovered:

While noticing that I have quite a stockpile of old batteries that are simply going to die of old age if I don't use them up first, I decided to use my old lights (2D kryton, 2C krypton) lights around the house to use up those old batteries that wouldn't otherwise get used. Normally, I favor AA and AAA LEDs for everything. While using my older lights around the house for several weeks, I started getting used to them and realizing through experience that they really are perfectly fine! Ok, not as much of a joy as the LEDs, but still just fine. And using these lights (and being satisfied using them) while having my superior LEDs waiting for their time to shine makes me realize that if I already have older lights that are proving themselves worthy, and much better lights already on hand, why do I need more???

So put away your 100 lumen retina burners and try using your $5 lights (at least around the house) for about a month. You may be surprised how you feel differently about them afterwards.
    Very good idea.

I have been using my old 4D Incan Dorcy Focusing lamp spotlight recently and despite having so many nice new lights I am having a great time with it.

I have been using a super cheap 1AA incan lately to run down my LSD AA's and they have been running surprisingly long and even though the amount of light is tiny, it is actually useable in the dark.

Flashaholic

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you. But for some of us, the flashaholism is MUCH worse... how many of you out there snickered when you read "100 lumen retina burners?"

My problem is that as brighter technology arrives and in smaller packages, the sickness gets worse . I went from obsessing over tiny bright LEDs to ROPs, Mag85s, and P7 emitters! I already have an HID so who knows what will be next??? IS THERE A CURE, DOCTOR?!?!

Flashaholic

Not married to her yet.....
    Problem is she knows what they are all costing and I am not about to lie to her....
    Good thing is she likes good flashlights as well but not alot of them.....On another note i have started to get her into rc airplanes....

"Why do I need more," you ask? Because I see more than enough junk lights (that includes stock incan Mags, thank you very much) in every non-flashaholic home and business I visit. Because I want my flashlight batteries to make themselves useful. Because I like reliable tools. Because I enjoy getting over 100L (from a decent flashlight) with a single "dead" cell scavenged from a stock incan Minimag.

From the 2D plastic incan "emergency" lights with one good cell and one empty cell to the "forever" shake lights whose main design function is to take money from wishful consumers, I've had enough of that stuff. That's why I surfed flashlightreviews.com and then joined CPF in the first place.

Of course, if you still prefer to use your unregulated, alkaline, krypton bulb, cheap plastic flashlights anyway, be my guest. Different strokes for different folks.

Another cure is getting into, or continuing your interest in guns and knives.
    强光手电是我最爱得

Quote Originally Posted by LEDrock;2577648}
    So put away your 100 lumen retina burners
    Bah 100 lumens is for kindygarden girlies.

True flashaholism begins at 1000. And hardcore doesn't happen until you surpass 1000W... I'm still working on that one.
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

Quote Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
    Another cure is getting into, or continuing your interest in guns and knives.
    I tried that. All it did was get me interested in guns, knives, AND flashlights!

Flashaholic

Smile Re: A cure for flashoholism

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    I tried that. All it did was get me interested in guns, knives, AND flashlights!
    This is so true !

My interests in knives, guns, and flashlights actually help to keep each other in check.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

LEDrock:

+1

Indeed, it is humbling to revisit old standby's. Why do I really need a 900-lumen torch, when 50 used to do just fine?

Flashaholic*

I've discovered a cure, unintentionally...
    Herein lies the fallacy. There is no cure for this disease. It's chronic, and periodic remissions ultimately lead back to recurrence. If anyone thinks there is a cure, they are just in denial. Except me. I've totally kicked the habit. I'll quit just as soon as I get my last Arc6. Honest, I've done it many times...Quit that is.

Flashaholic*

I clicked on this thread with hope, to find none

There really is no cure, is there? My girlfriend can't keep me in check either as she thinks it's a good thing as they are useful unlike say stamp collecting. And I'm beginning to set my sights on incans (still haven't bought a decent one) and HIDs now too...

And I had better pray that Lummi doesn't come out with anything new for a little while or my wallet will be screaming!

Edit: I spoke too soon, his Raw ALs are done and ready to ship and only 15 left. I *had* to get one...
    Last edited by zipplet; 08-02-2008 at 07:07 AM.

um......
    Why is anyone looking for a cure?
    I don't see the medical fraternity looking for a cure for a reliance on breathing or eating...
    I think folks have got it the wrong way 'round - perhaps it should be:
    "flashaholism is escaping me. How do I get it back?"

I know I often tend towards the pitfalls of hifi gear or knives or cars or other petty foibles, but I can always take comfort in the knowlege that a quick visit back here will get me right back on track

Dave.
    It started with one.. Surefire <6>+P61, 6P+P91 / BOG Premium+ Cree,SF8X (& 3" TH), SF M6; Blue MiniHID , HDS U60 #0022, Mag85, Gold ano Aleph 1, Auroralite's MM TL-3 mod; Fenix P1D & L0D, FM Throw Master, Zebra wood MM by Will, USL

Unenlightened

I find it easier just to openly state the condition: http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/mens-s...esign/26758069

Cure? There is no cure. This is embedded into the male gene. Since I was about ten years old and found that coupon in the paper for a free 5 "D" cell flashlight from Radio Shack, I haven't been able to stop playing with flashlights. There is no cure [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Mario/Desktop/RS00003.jpg[/IMG]for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindasabat View Post
    I have been using a super cheap 1AA incan lately to run down my LSD AA's and they have been running surprisingly long and even though the amount of light is tiny, it is actually useable in the dark.
    An incandescent seems like a very bad idea for a battery vampire. Besides, there's not much point in running down LSD NiMH cells - they'll be happier if you just recharge them when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fireboltr View Post
    Try RC helicopters......
    +1, except I can't really afford the big helicopters and wouldn't really have any large open spaces to run them in even if I could. Instead, I keep lusting after the tiny indoor ones... there are some 3ch ones now that are ridiculously cheap ($20!) and seem to actually work. Might order one or three...
    Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by here4fun View Post
    I find it easier just to openly state the condition: http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/mens-s...esign/26758069
    I MUST get one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Muddquez View Post
    Cure? There is no cure. This is embedded into the male gene. Since I was about ten years old and found that coupon in the paper for a free 5 "D" cell flashlight from Radio Shack, I haven't been able to stop playing with flashlights.
    It started with an old Fisher price (I think) light that took a couple of C cells and had a red/green filter, and some old lights my father gave me (including a 2xAAA energizer/eveready penlight I wish I still had). But I only had cheap incans until very recently.

I agree with the OP as to the usefulness of older lights. I still have a bunch of old 2D mags that are non-LED and they serve just as well for around the house for general stuff as they ever did. I think that the real "cure" if there is one is contentment. Once you have the bases covered with lights that will do what you need in virtually all reasonable situations, you're covered. Of course the (WOW) factor lights and collectibles and things like that will never leave you satisfied.
    I like pudding.

Flashaholic*

I find it fun to occasionally turn on a very old incan to see how far we are ahead of normal (non flashaholics) people. I keep mine around for that purpose and as lender lights to people I can't even trust with a 5mm LED light

Everyone knows the best cure for an addiction is a full blown hit
    On that note I think I'm gonna buy a new torch now... =P

Flashaholic*

"I'm not addicted I can quit whenever I want..."

Flashaholic

Cool Re: A cure for flashoholism

Quote Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
    +1, except I can't really afford the big helicopters and wouldn't really have any large open spaces to run them in even if I could. Instead, I keep lusting after the tiny indoor ones... there are some 3ch ones now that are ridiculously cheap ($20!) and seem to actually work. Might order one or three...

Got some good news for you then (bad news for the wallet). you can get into a full 3d ready 400 size machine (aprox 27" main rotor) for around 400$ now (i.e. blade 400). Wich luckily is plug and pray......everything included 2.4ghz radio system(spektrum dx6i *great radio*), battery, charger, motor, esc, and the air frame.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast