Born-again Kel-Lite 4D small head

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I had a Kel-Lite 4D small head, circa 1976, that I had bought for duty use back in the day. It served well and I was proud to carry it - it was tough, and brighter than the lights of the day. However, along came Maglite and some other lights, and the old K-L had to be retired.

I passed this K-L to one of my sons for an emergency light in his car until I got sentimental for same, and traded him a Mag 3C with MagLED emitter. The problem was, however, that the crimping on the threaded stem had come loose from the reflector, making same useless. The lens was badly scratched as well.

Fortunately, I was able to "creatively acquire" 2 Bright-Star / Koehler 3D - 1 of the tail-springs were donated for use with 2 x 18500 cells and a TLE300m in a Mag 2D, while 1 of the reflectors was able to be down-sized ever so slightly with a hand-held file, and 1 of the lens was crudely hand-cut, to replace the K-L's OEM. The B-S / K bodies, bezels and tail-caps were discarded, while the extra spring, reflector and lens await re-deployment.

Not quite the story of the beginnings of Surefire, but I am happy with results so far. All I need now is a couple of AA-to-D adaptors, a soldered sub-C stick and a set of ROP bulbs, and this old patrol vet could become VERY interesting!

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I made a spacer for this light out of a piece of perforated 1/2" angle steel, 120 mm l, which I cut 30 mm longer, split the angle at either end 15 mm then folded over the ends to make a flat contact point. I cut a piece of 35 mm od x 19 mm id PVC tube 110 mm l to hold the angle steel in place; I had thought about filling the tube with silicone or expanding foam to secure the steel, but it kept the steel centred enough for contact.

I installed a KPR118 bulb, and used my 8AA-to-2D adaptor and 8 AA eneloop cells as a power source, and it actually worked! I used this light as my main duty light last night, and it was not bad, but it was pretty weak compared to either my Pila GL3 with W-E 9 v LA & 18500 cells or my Corporal's Pelican 7060.

Given its length, weight and output, I will re-retire this light, pending receipt of my WA01331 bulbs, and might have to see if flashlightlens.com will custom-cut a UCL for it for me. Even if the weight and length make it less desireable as a duty light, I would still like to see how it performs with the bulb and lens up-grade.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I may get a machine shop to cut off 120 mm from the end, re-tap the end so the tail-cap will fit again, then run the WA01331 or even an ROP HO in it with my 8AA-to-2D adaptor and dummy cells.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I may get a machine shop to cut off 120 mm from the end, re-tap the end so the tail-cap will fit again, then run the WA01331 or even an ROP HO in it with my 8AA-to-2D adaptor and dummy cells.
Same has been cut & re-threaded, and runs the 1331 bulb quite nicely with the 8AA to 2D adaptor. I will be using it this weekend and will see how it is for night duty use.

TexLite

Enlightened
Same has been cut & re-threaded, and runs the 1331 bulb quite nicely with the 8AA to 2D adaptor. I will be using it this weekend and will see how it is for night duty use.

Cool.Sounds interesting.

Got some pics?

-Michael