Question about my Xenide 20W bulb

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Whenever I turn on my Xenide, the beam pattern has a purple, glassy appearance. This lasts for a few seconds and the light just shuts off. Is my lamp dieing?

Thanks,

Dudemar

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't think so dudemar. That's usually the color at start up which you already know, so I'm leaning toward something else. It sounds like a power delivery problem, so possibly a ballast?? Have you tried a different battery yet?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually mine usually doesn't start with the glassy appearance; it starts out purple, but definitely not glassy. I tried another battery and it's still the same problem. I want to say it's the ballast too, but it's the same age as the bulb.

It should be noted that when I swing the light before the light goes out on me, it doesn't turn off and properly starts up. This empirical evidence leads me to believe it's something to do with the bulb. I also cleaned all the contacts but that didn't help much.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
It should be noted that when I swing the light before the light goes out on me, it doesn't turn off and properly starts up.

Um.....in that case....... ;)

You must use the heck out of it if you need a bulb. The Xenide hasn't been around for very long.