Anchorage Alaska to install LED Streetlights

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be more interested in how they will do in foul weather. I know when I was living in the Yooper, all the street lights on campus and in town were yellow. Very yellow. It really gave the entire place an eerie glow; especially in snow storms at night.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be more interested in how they will do in foul weather. I know when I was living in the Yooper, all the street lights on campus and in town were yellow. Very yellow. It really gave the entire place an eerie glow; especially in snow storms at night.

Sodium vapor lights?

If foul weather means cold temps, they'll do great. I can't imagine it getting hot in Anchorage. At least not like Phoenix, AZ.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean snowy or stormy conditions, not necessarily temps.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean snowy or stormy conditions, not necessarily temps.

Should be no worse than regular lamps if they protect them from moisture which I expect will be part of the design. Anyone who doesn't do that for outdoor application should be, well, fired I guess.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
That snowball of 5mm LEDs isn't actually the "bulbs" they're using, is it??

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
not suprised at all to see CREE leading the way here.:)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yep, we've known about this for quite awhile now. I almost posted the link to the original articles awhile back, but didn't think it was that newsworthy! :ohgeez:

There have been some "community meetings" and also have them installed in a couple neighborhoods for comments from the residents.

I suppose you're all going to make me go out & find them now & take pics or something... :nana:.

Here's the recent press release from our Mayor...We're a "Led City" or something or other as awarded by the folks at Cree or someone along with:

Raleigh, NC; Toronto, Ontario; Ann Arbor, MI; Austin, TX; Tianjin, China; Torraca, Italy.

The fixtures are from BetaLED. We're all so used to the pinkish/orange tints of mercury vapor/HID lights...I look forward to proper color rendition with the white LEDs!

What else can I say? :thinking: Yeah, it's ALL my fault! :crackup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
they are LEDing the green revolution!

sorry for the bad pun....yes please Sigman, pictures! at your leisure of course..:)

Crenshaw

marschw

Newly Enlightened
From their datasheet, 5160 lumens @ 350mA / 60 LEDs = 86 lumens/watt, so it looks like they're using Q2's.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're in San Francisco, at night, head over to the area of Fulton Street between Hyde and Larkin (behind the Asian Art Museum) that whole block has LED streetlights. They turn everything a nice shade of grey/blue...It is a bit creepy.

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
Yo Sigman, I bet the Ravens are gonna hate them, no more nice warm streetlight to roost on when its -40, they best to keep them out of the valley or these rednecks will have new yard lights!

We have stretches of roadway like at the Knik River bridge that could use some low level road lighting when the ice fog forms, maybe some day somebody will come up with a plan or project to have motion sensored lights in other remote parts like especially in moose crossings, I have 8 Tomar strobes I use on my Silverado and the moose really hate those.

White_Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Yep, we've known about this for quite awhile now. I almost posted the link to the original articles awhile back, but didn't think it was that newsworthy! :ohgeez:

There have been some "community meetings" and also have them installed in a couple neighborhoods for comments from the residents.

I suppose you're all going to make me go out & find them now & take pics or something... :nana:.

Here's the recent press release from our Mayor...We're a "Led City" or something or other as awarded by the folks at Cree or someone along with:

Raleigh, NC; Toronto, Ontario; Ann Arbor, MI; Austin, TX; Tianjin, China; Torraca, Italy.

The fixtures are from BetaLED. We're all so used to the pinkish/orange tints of mercury vapor/HID lights...I look forward to proper color rendition with the white LEDs!

What else can I say? :thinking: Yeah, it's ALL my fault! :crackup:
raleigh nc, thats where i am...well about 35 miles south. i have heard nothing about this

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
From the "Led City" link in my earlier post:

"LED City program participants include Raleigh, NC; Toronto, Ontario; Ann Arbor, MI; Austin, TX; Tianjin, China; Torraca, Italy, and now Anchorage, AK."

From yesterday's link:

"Several other cities in America are testing energy-efficient LED street lamps as well, including Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Albuquerque and San Diego. But Anchorage is in the forefront of cities actually installing them on their roadways, Barber said."

(Bold, color, italics - mine)

Maybe a call to your city's utilities/street maintenance would shed some LIGHT on it? :thinking:

A quick "Google" search rendered these results...

Last edited: