Osram Golden Dragon flashlights?

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this 3AA stick-up light containing the Golden dragon LED. I was expecting Luxeon I performance, but was quite surprised by the output given the battery draw was below 400 ma. Ceiling bounce test show a performance in the range of the XR-E P4 bins at the same current.

What I really liked is the neutral flat white color that is a warmer tint than the typical XR-Es in flashlights like my Fenixes. The silver core XR-E in my Colman has more of a greenish tint when compared side by side. Osram claims a CRI of 80 for the GD which is not bad.

I'm surprised this is not more common LED.

Stromberg

Enlightened
Could you post a picture of that light? I've seen some Osram torch in certain shop and have many times wondered if it's any good. If it is same light I just might go for it.
How about regulation? Do you think that it's direct drive?

tricker

Enlightened
Ralights are using these in a few of their lights....clickies with narrow beams and twistys with a red low

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you post a picture of that light? I've seen some Osram torch in certain shop and have many times wondered if it's any good. If it is same light I just might go for it.
How about regulation? Do you think that it's direct drive?

Here is the pic.
goldendragon.jpg

It appears to have a switching current regulator. I don't know if it just limits current to the LED or has a regulator function to keep it bright as the batteries wear. It has a sensor you wave your hand in front of to turn it on high, low or off. It comes with a magnet to stick it up with.

Very difficult to open to change the batteries. Has a wide flood, but could be wider for under cabinet use. Like I said, light output, color and CRI are impressive. That is mainly why I was interested if the GD was used in flashlight/torches.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
It has a sensor you wave your hand in front of to turn it on high, low or off.

No way... Can you give us the make and model of that flashlight? Perhaps a link to sales/info??... I've never seen a motion activated flashlight before....Nice CRI you mention too??... Sounds like an awesome torch; what is it?!

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Sylvania LED mini lanterns that had Golden Dragon LEDs in them. They weren't bad looking.

I replaced the Golden Dragons with SSC P4 U and U2 bin emitters.
Now I need to find another use for the Golden Dragons.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Here's a camping lantern:

Camping lantern with super bright OSRAM GOLDEN DRAGON® LED (got it as SKU 2122 from Kay)

It works on 4 AAs, very small, not the brightest ones, but nice and pleasant shine without artefacts.

dom

Enlightened
Here is the pic.

Very difficult to open to change the batteries. Has a wide flood, but could be wider for under cabinet use. Like I said, light output, color and CRI are impressive. That is mainly why I was interested if the GD was used in flashlight/torches.

These are great lights.
I sit outside and read every night under a metal roofed carport (which these stick to with their magnet) .Use on low is heaps of light. The rechargeables i put in seem to be lasting forever.

To take the halves apart easier -just push the unit together (like if you are clapping your hands)and twist.

Cheers
Dom

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lunasol 20 made by McGizmo uses a Golden dragon emitter as the "high" beam.
I really like the quality of light that the golden dragon emits. It is also a nice efficient emitter.
Yaesumofo

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine at WalMart for $11.98. It seems to have good life with alkalines. I'm not through the included set. Anyone have runtimes?

The small die size of the GD would make it great for small flashlights with good focus (throw). I see Oasram has a 130 some lumen per watt LED runing in their lab. :paypal:

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have any runtimes on these Dot-its, whether formal or informal. I think I'll pick one up to compare it to the original Dot-its I have.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure costco has them cheaper than that.
Didn't see any when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

I'll check it out when I go there later today.
EDIT: They have lights that are similar (a 4 pack of 5-LED lights for $19.99) but no Golden Dragons here.

Last edited: