Best thrower?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have had a person asking me if I can help him find a good thrower light!
Im not exactly in the loop regarding those lights anymore... So I have no idea whats out there, and what to choose...

The brands I know have some thrower lights are
Tiablo and Lumapower

The size of the light isnt a problem since he wants something in the same size as a 2D MagLite.

I dont dare to recommend him any light since I dont have first hand experience with any good throwers.

Runtime should be minimum of 30-60 min ( this isnt a problem with any of the leds today I think) this was the runtime he asked for when wanting a incan, but he might have changed his mind to a LED...

So please help a fella out finding him a good light!

Price range is up to $200, but preferable lower depending on brand.

Thanks!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi There!

What exactly is your buddy going to be using the light for?

I am going to suggest the Surefire route: Check out the Surefire 6P or 9P (run on 2 and 3 CR123s, respectively) as they are classic, tough, easily upgradeable and backed by a no hassle guarantee from a wonderful company. Further, there are a lot of interchangeable parts you can buy to make this a real customized to your needs light. The 6p runs about $60 but I'm sure you can find a better deal on here. I recommend saving the money and buying the incandescent version as you will just upgrade the lamp to LED. If you want to spend a bit more for a monster, look at the Surefire C2 Centurion for about $115 - this is what I bought. It's AWESOME!

Then buy an aftermarket drop-in to get you the throw and power you want: The Malkoff M60 drop-in gives a crazy bright 235 lumens for 1.5 hours on 2 cells with a beautiful beam/tint. This will run you about $50 but is well worth it. I have the lesser 140 lumen version (4.5 hours of light) and it is wonderful. There are all assorted version to fit your output and flood vs. throw needs. These units are built like a tank and the customer service is out of this world! Malkoff drop-ins seem to be a clear favorite out here.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7&zenid=l1s2v1n56b2sqfcb455e0m6md5u0vt9e

So for $110 you can have a wonderful light that will be yours for a lifetime!

Have fun! :twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Here's a Maglite thread. Might be helpful.

If he wants something around the size of the 2D, would something smaller work? IIRC the Tiablo is around the same length as the Minimag but wider.

The Dereelight DBS is one of the best LED throwers, but it does run on CR123s or Li-ios which I wouldn't recommend to most normal users.

How far does he want the light to throw.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Thanks all so far for all the reply´s!

I will work out more info as soon as I can :)

I sold him my precious SF L4 :) and he want a light that is as bright at a distance that the L4 are up close.

He has a Mag 2D LED, and he think it throws good, but he wants more power, he is very new to this whole flashlight world so I think that any of the LED throwers would amaze him, but I dont want to recommend just any light to him, I want to find the very best LED thrower there is (whit in a reasonable price range).

I will look into the Dereelight DBS, does someone have a good thread about that one? Hopefully some good beamshots, preferably outside?

Its nice for a change to look something up for someone else, lets me be a bit more careful and not just buy the first thing that sounds interesting :)

pipspeak

Enlightened
You could spend well under $100 and get a Malkoff or some other drop-in for the MagLED that will boost the output significantly. Not sure how much it will boost the actual throw, however. Others might know.

For the DBS you should consider getting the Q2 5A pill, which is a warmer tint and will be better for outdoors.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
You could spend well under $100 and get a Malkoff or some other drop-in for the MagLED that will boost the output significantly. Not sure how much it will boost the actual throw, however. Others might know.

My Malkoff 3C is my favorite light and it throws very well, but not quite as far as my DBS v2 3SD but close. If I had to choose just one of these lights, it would be my Malkoff 3C.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
DBS V2... for pure throw with a little sidespill. Runs multiple battery types!

You could also look at some Maglite mods, but these get a little confusing as there are TONS of options with these. Do some research if you're going to look at these.

Good luck,
Dan

Wattnot

Enlightened
Best thrower for the buck right now is the Tiablo A9. It's worth every penny of it's former $120 price but now it's $55 shipped from DX and others.

Very little spill and the hotspot is small but I'm careful not to aim this at flammable things because it looks like it's going to cause them to spontaniously ignite!!

I find it a poor walking/general purpose light though . . . but man can it throw that narrow beam hot and far!!

Meltdown

Enlightened
the Pelican 7060 for $110.00 including charger and belt holster is a LOT of bang for the buck. it's throws 200 yards no problemo.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for helping me out! I think he have decided on a light!

Thanks again!

Mike D

Newly Enlightened
Here's a good price on the A9 from a good dealer. I wouldn't take a chance on DX to save a few bucks.

No disrespect to the DBS v2, but for the money this is worth a strong look.

This is excellent advice. Take it from someone whom ordered an A9 from DX July 11 and is still wating for it. All I've heard are excuses from them as to why it hasn't shipped, yet they still have the item listed as in stock and ready to ship. This was my first and last order from this joke of a company.

I might as well took a fifty out of my wallet and lit it on fire.:mad: