P90X - anyone try this?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've working out at gyms all my life, but have never tried any formal training programs.

Last night I saw an infomercial for P90X, and the results looked pretty impressive, especially for 90 days.

Has anyone tried this program? Is it worth the money? I'm thinking about ordering it to try out but like all things would love CPF user reviews / feedback prior to trying it out.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't but it looks like mostly calisthenics with light weight training. Doesn't seem bad actually. Nothing too expensive it looks. Just hex dumbbells. Push ups are awesome:thumbsup:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea I love push ups. I think I've hit a point of diminishing returns on push ups though. I can do 80 - 100 push ups without getting tired. I like to work on other parts of the body but don't know the best exercises.

This is why the P90X program seem attractive to me. It seems to contain a lot of new exercises. But I'm always hesitant to buy stuff off of infomercials. Need real world reviews before I can trust a product.

Thanks for the input.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here.

I dunno though. Hex dumbbells are really good for getting more out of push ups. They allow a bit more drop down, plus you can switch up your grips, parallel, inline, etc. Helps for bringing up the bench. Plus you can switch up and do curls or shoulder press in between sets. I think that's basically what the P90x system is, calisthenics/light weight supersets.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I saw the informercial for the P90X a while ago and did some research. I posted to bodybuilding forums and asked about it. The response I got was to save your money and follow the workout that's posted here.

They are essentially the same thing, which is what RyanA guessed, basically, calisthenics/resistance supersets.

The deal with the website is that the trainer that designed the plan is basically providing his weight cutting workout for free as marketing for his strength building workout (which you have to pay for). If you already have a bit of muscle mass, this workout is very effective, but it won't really increase your strength much... unless you're a total beginner.

So, if your goal is a cut, defined look, my advice is to follow the free workout and save your money for some of the basic gear needed for the workout, like an exercise ball, a pull up bar... etc.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
My wife loves P90X. She has been doing it for a couple of months now. She was pretty fit to begin with, but to my eyes she is leaner and tighter. She doesn't bother with the nutrition plan, but she really likes the workouts.

I've noticed that some people (like me) like to design their own fitness program, while others (my wife) like to have a video or trainer telling them what to do. I wouldn't say either approach is superior to the other - it just depends on what you like. P90X is definitely for the "tell me what to do" crowd. Like I said, my wife swears by it, but I'm not particularly interested.

We bought ours through Amazon, not the infomercial. Supposedly there have been some billing screw-ups involving the infomercial site.

verbie

Enlightened
i like it! :D i'm a lazy bum so i like to have a video telling me what to do also, hihihi. i'm not that fit so i get stronger, leaner and tighter doing P90X. i actually lose more body fat doing P90X cuz i would be exercising for 60 minutes opposed to 30 minutes of jogging, which i do so slow.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, I clicked on this thread thinking it's about some surefire's new super duper LED drop in... :(

LOL, so many lumens it actually MELTS fat.

As a side note, ever have a P91 turn on in the pocket?:eek: