UV lights for field use

RangerX

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I need a UV light that would be able to check California driver's licenses for the UV security feature. We just had a fake license that was AMAZING, so we are looking for a way to counter it. This light would have to be small, usable in the day time, and dummy-proof. We want to start checking all licenses we come in contact with for counterfeits. Any suggestions for specific models? Thank you.

jchoo

Enlightened
There are a few sources for UV led lights, but not all are suitable for your task. Xenopus Electronix has a 365nm UV flashlight that is best suited for detecting counterfeits. I know the strip on my VA DL will flouresce under 385nm UV, but not all will. As far as I know, 365nm is the best wavelength to use for your needs. With that said, the unit from XE runs about $112 a pop - kind of hard to justify if you need to buy them for the whole department. Instead, you can give up a little wavelength and output and get a bunch of Photon I lights. They should work just as well, but will be difficult to use in direct sunlight... but on the plus side, they're only $14, and replacement batteries are very inexpensive in bulk.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC AAA-uv is very handy for keychain carry and works with most state ID's, including California. I've nabbed a few kids with fake California ID's using the ARC. A streamlight stylus uv would work well also, although it takes odd batteries (aaaa) it does have a tailcap switch though.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X5UV or X1UV Definately the way to go...
I've EDC'd my ARC AAA UV on keys for over a year, but now EDC on belt my X5 UV. X5 all the way!:twothumbs

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh the inova lights are a poor option for ID. Better with a light with a 375 NM led.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I'd second the Arc AAA UV for the compact size. Quiglight also makes a small white/UV light that can clip onto your shirt or webbing. I also saw that First-Light is developing their Liberator to incorporate a small UV light for just that purpose.