Looking for a dental blue and a UV light

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm on the lookout for a UV light as well as a dental blue one. I've done some searching (both here and google), but haven't found anything quite right (not within my price range, anyway). I thought I would check here to see if I'm missing anything.

There are lots of posts on lights that emit ~390nm. It seems that most things, however (pet urine, scorpions, fungii, currency) flouresce much better at ~365nm--plus, there is no distracting glow. Does anyone know of a 365nm light available without dropping too much $$, or am I better off going with a flourescent tube light. I'd prefer the form of a flashlight, but it's not absolutely necessary.

As for the dental blue, does anyone make a bright flashllight in that range? I can't find a thing. I believe Terralux had a blue drop-in, but I don't imagine it would be too bright, and the wavelength is probably a bit long.

Anyway--thanks in advance for the help!! Appreciate it,

-Mike

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
flourescent lights are cheap and can be found at many hunting/camping stores. I think photon has a 375nm keylight thats not too expensive, probably the cheapest for that wavelength.

Hi everyone,

I'm on the lookout for a UV light as well as a dental blue one. I've done some searching (both here and google), but haven't found anything quite right (not within my price range, anyway). I thought I would check here to see if I'm missing anything.

There are lots of posts on lights that emit ~390nm. It seems that most things, however (pet urine, scorpions, fungii, currency) flouresce much better at ~365nm--plus, there is no distracting glow. Does anyone know of a 365nm light available without dropping too much $$, or am I better off going with a flourescent tube light. I'd prefer the form of a flashlight, but it's not absolutely necessary.

As for the dental blue, does anyone make a bright flashllight in that range? I can't find a thing. I believe Terralux had a blue drop-in, but I don't imagine it would be too bright, and the wavelength is probably a bit long.

-Mike

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a Lux V in dental blue (I got one for around $38 IIRC) from Future Electronics. It would be fairly easy to install this into a cheap DX flashlight or use some of the DIY stuff to make one. I'd suggest a light like this one which uses a K2 Lumileds for your dental blue mod link and for about $16 it won't likely break the bank.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a Lux V in dental blue (I got one for around $38 IIRC) from Future Electronics. It would be fairly easy to install this into a cheap DX flashlight or use some of the DIY stuff to make one. I'd suggest a light like this one which uses a K2 Lumileds for your dental blue mod link and for about $16 it won't likely break the bank.

Isn't Royal Blue dental blue?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite the same - dental blue has a slightly higher wavelength and tends to cost a lot more. Not sure if the cost is because it has the word 'dental' in it but these are used to cure dental composites, mixtures and adhesives.

cy

Flashaholic
I've got an ARC LS first run in royal blue. which I believe is also call dental blue.

it's a super rare light $250 if you are interested.. otherwise there were a few ARC4 made in royal blue for forensics. those are super rare too and come with goggles.

also have an ARC AAA in 365nm range... this is a very short UV light.

Last edited:

lengendcpf

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

-Mike

How about this from ebay?

1 x aaa and 375nm wavelength.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions everyone--keep them coming if you have more--appreciate the help. I know the 365nm makes some things flouresce a lot better, but does anyone know if there is any advantage to the 390nm (besides price and availability)?