Cree XR-E P4 to Q5 upgrade

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some flashlights that have Cree XR-E P4s on them and I'd like to upgrade them to to Q4 or Q5. They are on the "star" shaped boards. I see Dealextreme sells these.

Is a P4 to Q4 a visually bright enough to make the change worthwhile for those who have done it? I though I read somewhere the voltage on the Q bins are higher.

Is Dealextreme a trustworthy place to buy the LEDs? (Are Q5s actually Q5?)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a P4 to Q4 a visually bright enough to make the change worthwhile ...
Sorry, I haven't done it, but IMHO no. There's really not much percentage difference in output at all. Maybe, possibly, P4 to R2 might be worth doing, but :broke: may be an issue there.

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Well, I modded my Fenix P2D, with a presumed P4 greenie, to an R2-WG, and there's a definite difference. Here's some basic beamshots: The left is a 2008 Olight T15 on high, the right is the Fenix on Turbo. P4 on top, R2 on the bottom.
P4toR2Cree.jpg

So, I'd say the Q5 might be worth it, but an R2 is noticeable.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like R2 is the way. I might try a Q4 in a cheap light since they are only $5 at DX. I wonder if the DX ones are the greenish white color ones with the silver around the die. I bought Coleman light with that and the beam color is almost yucky.

DM51

Flashaholic
You posted this in B/S/T, which is the wrong place for it.

Please familiarise yourself with the different sub-forums and the categories of topics they cover.

I'm moving it to Homemade & Modified.