which surefire light as bright as fenix tk11?

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
I just got myself a fenix tk11 and like the level of hotspot brightness on turbo mode. Looking for a surefire light with similar brightness which is about 10,000 lux according to light-reviews.com preferably about the same size or smaller. reason why i want to get a surefire is that they just seem more durable to me for some reason :)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
To get up to that level with a S/F you will have to go with incandescent at least for now.An M3 with the high option bulb will give you about the same LM but with much shorter runtime of course 20 minuets iirc.If you can wait a bit S/F will be coming out with a few high end led lights that should stomp a tk11

gilly

Enlightened
Which surefire LED is as bright as the TK11? None yet - wait for the Optimus and Invictus to come out.........like the rest of us. Optimus will be roughly ballpark with the TK11 and the Invictus will be brighter.

Save your pennies - the cheaper one will be $279.

aussiebob

Enlightened
Ive got the fenix T1 same 225 lum output as the TK11 and compared to my E2DL there is not much difference at all, say 30ft more reach.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
yup i want a surefire not something else in the form of dropins and such, otherwise i'd just stick with the tk11. what is the hotspot lux readings from the E2DL?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the lux readings on the E2DL would be higher because so much of the light's output is focused in the hotspot, however the beam pattern is very different. If all you're looking for is hotspot intensity, the E2DL is a great light.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the lux readings on the E2DL would be higher because so much of the light's output is focused in the hotspot, however the beam pattern is very different. If all you're looking for is hotspot intensity, the E2DL is a great light.

But the E2DL is putting out significantly less light than the TK10.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, no doubt about it. But this bit,

... like the level of hotspot brightness on turbo mode...

gives me the idea that hotspot intensity is a top priority here. And if they're looking for a stock Surefire that's big on hotspot intensity, the E2DL is the best thing going short of getting an E2L and buying a KX2C for it.

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
But the E2DL is putting out significantly less light than the TK10.

Do you say this based on real-world output visual results, or manufacturer lumens ratings?

I ask this in all seriousness because I haven't seen the beam first-hand from either of these lights.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you say this based on real-world output visual results, or manufacturer lumens ratings?

I ask this in all seriousness because I haven't seen the beam first-hand from either of these lights.

Me neither, but I remember the T1 having 225 lumens out the front, and the TK10/TK11 have the same regulation, so even if the E2DL has more than 120lm, it still gets beaten. But I'd like to see a comparison nonetheless.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I'm sorry I can't post pics right now but I have both. To my eyes the Surefire E2DL has better throw. The hotspot seems brighter than the Fenix. The Fenix may have more lumens but the SF E2DL is so close it doesn't matter to me. The real difference seems to be the type of beam. The SF is much tighter than the Fenix. One other note is that the SF is MUCH easier for me to pocket carry. Both are great light just with different beams.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
thanks for the suggestions, i think i would try to look into the E2DL.
would be great if anyone with a lux meter could get some readings. i dont mind that the optics on surefire it mostly spot cos i dont find the spill usefull for my use anyways.

the TK10/TK11 have the same regulation
the tk10 and tk11 actually dont have the same regulation though, the runtimes as seen on light-reviews.com shows quite a bit of difference both running 2x cr123 batteries.

also just noticed that using 3.7v li ion battery the tk11 manages to get up to max brightness while the tk10 only manages about half that.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tk10 and tk11 actually dont have the same regulation though, the runtimes as seen on light-reviews.com shows quite a bit of difference both running 2x cr123 batteries.
Yes the circuits are clearly different going by light-reviews.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
reason why i want to get a surefire is that they just seem more durable to me for some reason :)

Brightness aside, I wouldn't discount the durability of the Fenix T series. At first, I had a similar concern. Having used Surefires for a long time, I had the preconceived idea that Fenix (a relatively unkown company outside the flashlight community) seemed cheap like some other Chinese products. However, after putting several Fenix products, including a T1 and TK10, through torture and constant daily use, I can assure you IMHO these things are equally, if not more, durable than Surefire.