Some Surefire G2 and G2Z LED questions.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The people here on CPF seem to know everything about flashlights so guessing this is the best place to ask. I have an standard G2Z and ordered a P60L drop in. However thinking about putting the P60L in my old G2. My G2 is pre tailcap lock out. Can I call SF and order a lockout tail cap? This way if I decide to put the P60L in the G2 I will not have to worry about my light going off in the car/pack.

On the G2Z I have been looking at some of the drop-in posted on CPF. I don't want a cheap one that will fail. Lots of people here seem to like the Malkoff.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_8

But there seems to be a good number from this company to pick from. I like longer runtimes rather than super lumens. So what one is best for me? Also will Surefire sell me an Al tan bezel to replace my Plastic one? Will this help with the heat issues?

Last edited:

jbviau

Enlightened
Well SF doesn't typically sell small parts like the LOTC a la carte. Couldn't hurt to ask them, I guess. You could also look for one in the Marketplace, but the nitrolon parts don't show up often. If you want one and SF won't help, I could probably hook you up. Just shoot me a PM.

Malkoffs are great. I'd stay away from the M60s if your host isn't metal due to heat. The M60L or M60LL would be perfect for you in a G2Z. An aluminum bezel would help somewhat re: heat dissipation, but I don't think they make them in tan.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen an aluminum bezel in tan yet. Give them a call (faster than email) and see what they can do about sending you a lock out tailcap. The lower output Malkoff's shouldn't have as much problem with heat.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I will think on that M60LL. One thing I really like about the G2Z is it can take a real beating. Don't know if the aluminum bezel would hold up to all the BS I put the light though and still look good. The most I have ever been able to do is scratch the bezel's window and that was not too easy. So if I don't need to change it out for a M60LL than all the better.

Force Attuned,

How long have you ran the M60L non stop? Also does the M60L fit the G2Z right. I hear some aftermarket drop-ins are too big.

Edit:

M60LL

The output is 80+/- bulb lumens. The current draw is approximately 170ma at 6 volts. The runtime is approximately 8 hours, at full output, on 2 CR123 primary batteries

M60L

The output is 140+/- lumens. The current draw is approximately 350ma at 6 volts. The runtime is approximately 4 1/2 hours on 2 CR123 primary batteries.

Wow both seem to have good runtimes. Thinking 80 for 8 hours at full output fits my needs well.

Last edited:

livewrongprojects

Newly Enlightened
the M60LL is amazing.. like you Woods Walker, im for run time although IMHO the M60LL already has a good throw

Force Attuned

Enlightened
I will think on that M60LL. One thing I really like about the G2Z is it can take a real beating. Don't know if the aluminum bezel would hold up to all the BS I put the light though and still look good. The most I have ever been able to do is scratch the bezel's window and that was not too easy. So if I don't need to change it out for a M60LL than all the better.

Force Attuned,

How long have you ran the M60L non stop? Also does the M60L fit the G2Z right. I hear some aftermarket drop-ins are too big.

Edit:

M60LL

The output is 80+/- bulb lumens. The current draw is approximately 170ma at 6 volts. The runtime is approximately 8 hours, at full output, on 2 CR123 primary batteries

M60L

The output is 140+/- lumens. The current draw is approximately 350ma at 6 volts. The runtime is approximately 4 1/2 hours on 2 CR123 primary batteries.

Wow both seem to have good runtimes. Thinking 80 for 8 hours at full output fits my needs well.

The longest I have run my G2Z w/M60L non-stop would be approx 45 minutes. The body got warm but not hot. I would even consider it safe to run even the M60 (high output) in the G2Z for sporadic use.

And BTW the Malkoff dropins fit perfectly in the G series, P seres and C series Surefires. I know - I have at least one from each, like most Surefire lovers!!

Size15's

Flashaholic
My G2 is pre tailcap lock out. Can I call SF and order a lockout tail cap?
Yes - depending on the colour of your G2:

Z72 LockOut TailCap - G2 - BK (Black)
Z73 LockOut TailCap - G2 - OD (Olive Drab)
Z74 LockOut TailCap - G2 - YL (Yellow)
Z75 LockOut TailCap - G2 - TN (Tan)

Also will Surefire sell me an Al tan bezel to replace my Plastic one? Will this help with the heat issues?
These coloured aluminium bezels are still quite new. I'm not aware of SureFire assigning Z-numbers to them yet.
I suspect they may be able to sell you one. I suggest you call SureFire and ask.

Latest posts