LED in WF-502D flasjlight...possible?

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everybody!
A simple (I think...!) question: there is the possibility of fitting a led bulb in a WF-502D (4Xcr123 cells)?
I don't have found nothing.. :(
Thank you a lot!

Greetings from Sardinia! :)

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
But why would you do that?

Hi pushy,
thank you a lot for your reply.
I want to do this "change" because the original bulb discharge the batteryes too quickly.
I think (..correct?) that a led choice can give me more battery endurance.
What do you think about the lumen emission of the led bulb?

PS: Sorry for my poor english.. :(

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
+
Consider a (2) 18650 cell setup if your battery tube is wide enough. You'll get fantastic runtimes and find more drop-ins in that voltage range.
Measure your 'inside' batter tube diameter to see if its 19mm.

Great! :)
I had found the first link (probably tagged as "important" by the mod of the forum), but I don't had seen the second!! :sssh:

Ok, there is the space for two 18650 (19mm inside)!!
So, now I must only choose the better bulb :)
Uhm...2,4 - 2,6 Ah vs 0.8 Ah... :grin2:
Thank you a lot! :)

gchand

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking for a multi-mode unit, I have had good luck with the DealExtreme SKU 11075 unit (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11075). It is advertised as being a 0-100% unit, but the two shipments that I have received have been 5-mode (Hi/Med/Lo/Strobe/SOS). The Low mode only draws 30ma or so with 4 primary CR123's, so offers excellent run times. This module can be used either with 4 primary cells, or two 18650 Li-ion cells (if your flashlight body is wide enough to accept them). If you use the 18650's, use protected cells since with unprotected cells the regulator on the module will draw the cells down below the damage point before you see any reduction in output.

George

Last edited:

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thank you!!
Now I must buy two 18650 protected cells and the correct bulb.
I think that if I buy two 18650 - 3,7V, I also must buy at least a 3-9V led.
Perfect :)

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these in a 502D with 2x18650. The beam pattern is good, the lumen output is fantastic (200+ emitter by eye) and I find the colour much more pleasant than a Q5 or R2. However, heatsinking is a real problem as there's no contact between the drop-in and the wall of the light. I'm going to go crazy with solder to rectify this, it's something you should consider.

Last edited:

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
However, heatsinking is a real problem as there's no contact between the drop-in and the wall of the light. I'm going to go crazy with solder to rectify this, it's something you should consider.

Uhmm..heatsinking is a problem of any led emitter, or is a problem of only this bulb?
A possible solution is to use alluminium tape (like the one used in heat/refrigeration system, as heat pump, etc) around the reflector to promote the contact between the body of the flashlight and the reflector of the led...

Last edited: