Looking for good EDC Flashlight, Suggestions?

Tactikool

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF, This will be my first post so hopefully I am in the right forum and not violating the rules which I briefly ran over.

As the title suggests I am looking for an inexpensive yet high quality metal flashlight to replace my 3Cell Maglite which weighs a tad too much for EDC (Every Day Carry).

I'm looking for an LED Variety or something that can give me long runtimes, was looking at the Surefire 6P, yet it does not allow low luminosity for such things as reading maps or just a general low-brightness light for being outside and etc.

So as far as the questions and requirements go:
1 ) $100 or less
2) Metal Body, no exceptions. I hate cheap plastic lights.
3) Must use some sort of rechargeable battery and standard battery (I have found CR123 Chargers etc) - Looking at a 2 Cell CR123 looks about the right size of what I wish =D 3-6"
4) A massive plus would be a clip such as the clips pocket knives have nowadays
5) Must be rugged (Surefire?)
6) Variable Output (Will consider others depending on other features)

So my questions are as follows:
1) As far as LED Technology goes is this something that I should buy now or wait for the next-gen? What light technology would you suggest using?

2) Battery Types, I ran into a post saying that companies should switch to a 19XX variety of batteries? Are CR123 going extinct/Bad options?

As I am rather new to the concept of the newer flashlights lumens, focal length, CR123, etc. I have always used a MagLite/cheap dollar store flashlights. I want something that will last a long time and be useful. I used to carry my Maglite everyday but I have a 2mile walk every day and that extra weight did make a large difference. I did however like my ability to change the beam from spot to wide so that would be a massive plus. I am looking for something of AT LEAST 76+ Lumens (As bright or brighter than my Maglite with the possibility of lower for maps, books, etc.)

Sorry if I sound rude or demanding in this post, I do not wish to insult anyone at all. So my final question is what would you recommend for a EDC Flashlight? Any pictures/Links would be GREATLY Appreciated. Every time I dive into something I am not completely familiar with I get stuck with a horrible product like when I purchased my $20 hydration pack! LOL Now I am using a Blackhawk Hydrastorm Barracuda and Loving it.

Anyway Thanks for your help!!!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into the Surefire "Backup" AKA: "E1B"

Also the E2DL, E1L, and E2L's, they all have 2 stages (LOW & HIGH) and get quite bright. Remember Surefire Lumen are "Under-rated" compared to other brands.

It helps to be flexable in the amount you want to spend when considering purchasing a nice light.

H2Orower

Enlightened
:welcome:

My highest recommendation for a nice EDC flashlight would also be the Surefire E1B Backup. :twothumbs

You can check out pictures and info on their website at Surefire.com. Also, refer to this great thread here for peoples opinion on the light, as well as, additional pics and ways to make the excellent light even better (ie. Z68 or defender tailcap).

Welcome to CPF. Enjoy.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add abit more and get the L1 Cree + F04 diffuser......

In fact there is an L1 lux thats for sale in the CPF marketplace. Although the output is 2.2/22 lumens the quality of the beam is outstanding..

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
For EDC take a look at lights that only take (1) CR123. I would recommend the Jet Beam Jet II Pro from Bugoutgear.com

bezel

Newly Enlightened
SF E1B

tested closer to 10/100 lumen high/low (underrated)
simple two stage ui (many other multi-level lights are too complex)
useable lifetime guarantee
only $10 over your spec but
hard to beat E1B throw in a light this size
do get the F04 beam diffuser
make sure to get the 3.0 volt rechargeables and matching charger if you go rechargeable (not the 3.6)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF! :wave:

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm going to be different and suggest the Surefire E2L.

Since it is designed to take more than 3V you should be able to use a single 3.7v 17670 lithium-ion battery to run it.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I agree that an E1B is a great flashlight. Especially great as a first light, it fails on one of the OP's requirements. The E1B doesn't play well with Rechargeable cells.
The question is How Important is this feature for this first flashlight?
If you are willing to compromise on this then it may well be worth skipping.

On the other hand, another very good choice might be a 6Pl and a couple of rechargeable cr123 cells. The output is not quite as high, but the beam has more utility for some people. The runtime numbers are very good as well.The 6P allows for future upgrades. You could even get a Malkoff drop in for it and be on the cutting edge both technology wise as well as brightness wise.
The 6P L and malkoff with 4 rechargeable cells will take you a little over your budget but the long term expandability, surefire lifetime warranty, and overall quality will make it great choice.

You could start out with the 6PL and 2 sets of batteries (you want to have one on charge and ready to go and one in the light). when you are ready to upgrade Order up a Malkoff drop in and you have the simplest high output upgrade available.

I say go for the Very versatile 6P based light to start with and move up from there.
Yaesumofo

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's funny how as soon as Surefire is mentioned in the OP's post, every or most of the suggestions would be of a Surefire light.

1) Right now you can get 80+ lumen out of a LED light from a single AA battery. Compare that to a 4D mag which hits around 60 lumen. The current gen LEDs are more then enough for most normal tasks.

2) CR123s are still going strong. The main problem is cost to buy in stores. Many lights can accept rechargeables so that can lower the cost(Surefires aren't supposed to run on RCR123s but a few can). They can give a good amount of current an are pretty small so you can have a smaller light. AA batteries are also adequate for powering a high power LED light but you almost always have to use recdhargeable batteries.

How tough do you want the light to be? Most of the lights that you see around here can take daily abuse without problem.

How does the Nitecore D10 or EX10 sound? The Nitecore Extreme has a clip too(8% off coupon at 4sevens and Fenix Store is "CPF8"). What about the Fenix lights? Jetbeams? Olights? Novatac(over you price range though)? Lumapower? You have a lot of choices.

Form what you have posted, the Nitecore Extreme, Jetbeam Jet 1, Jet 2, and maybe a few others could work(with clip on the light).

:welcome:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a lot of love for the E1B purely for awesome design and UI, but I've only used one once.

Also worth considering are the Nitecore lights, or a Fenix. Used neither, but they always get high marks for usability, quality, and brightness. Fenix TK10 may fit your needs, but 'low' is still pretty high... comprable to your Mag, probably. Nitecore makes a small selection of AA and 123A based lights, which will eat anything the right size, from NiMH (1.2 volt) to alkaline (1.5 volt; won't run very bright) to rechargeable lithium (3.7 volt, may be slightly brighter than NiMH).

carrot

Flashaholic
I was going to recommend the Nitecore D10 or EX10 too, but there are no clips yet (yet!!!!) and the OP seemed pretty intent on having a clip.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the NovaTac 85 series lights being sold @ under $100 by Lighthound. As far as I can "see", that is the best example of what you are looking for. I have attached info. below.

From the NovaTac website:
Designed to meet the rigorous reliability and durability requirements of Firefighting, Public Safety, and First Responder personnel, the NovaTac EDC-85 is a handheld flashlight that surpasses most performance requirements. Lightweight, easy to use, easy to carry, and virtually indestructible, it could very well be the last flashlight you will ever need. The EDC-85 intelligent power supply automatically reduces output to preserve the battery as it starts to run down, reducing the risk that you will ever be left in the dark. The brightness levels can also be adjusted to suit your situation or to conserve power. The EDC-85 can be used to send a distress beacon to alert your team to your whereabouts. In the toughest situations, a NovaTac EDC-85 in your hand may be the difference between life and death.

Specifications
  • Input Voltage: 1.8V to 4.5V
  • Light Source: White LED
  • Maximum Light Output: 85 Lumens
  • Regulation: Constant Power Regulation
  • Battery: 1xCR123A or Li-ion (4.2V) Rechargeable
  • Lens: Polycarbonate with Anti-reflective Coatings
  • Dimensions: 1 Inch (25mm) Diameter by 3.3 Inches (80mm) Long
  • Weight: 3.1 Ounces Including Battery
  • Waterproof: 66 Feet
Features
  • 3 Directly Accessible Brightness Settings
  • Preset Emergency Strobe Signal
  • Single-Button Control
  • Pocket Clip/Lanyard Attachment
  • User Manual
  • Automatic Brightness Reduction for Weak Battery
  • Protects Rechargeable Battery
  • Reverse Polarity Protection
  • Thermal Regulation
Levels
  • Primary Setting: 10 Lumens
  • Secondary Setting: 42 Lumens
  • Maximum Setting: 85 Lumens
  • Emergency Strobe Setting
My .02 FWIW YMMV

1dash1

Enlightened
So my questions are as follows:
1) As far as LED Technology goes is this something that I should buy now or wait for the next-gen? What light technology would you suggest using?

2) Battery Types, I ran into a post saying that companies should switch to a 19XX variety of batteries? Are CR123 going extinct/Bad options?

Tactikool:

1) No, you should not wait. The next generation is likely to be just a tweak of the existing technology. Besides, the lights you find in this forum are already a generation or two ahead of what consumers would find at most department stores.

2) No, CR123's are not in danger of becoming extinct any time in the near future. They are a very convenient way of packing a lot of energy in a small package. Many CPF members prefer the larger, more powerful 18650's, but you should consider the risks. Li-ion rechargeables, including RCR123s, require a great deal more care than NiMH cells (if you don't know why, please see the Welcome Mat).

My suggestion:

NiteCore D10. ($54 shipped from 4sevens.com with "CPF8" discount code.)

Small enough to be pocketable. However, I carry mine in a small holster that is inconspicuous next to my cell phone case. It's so light and small that I hardly notice it. But it's there when I need it.

It's hard to find a multi-level light with a good low and this one has a very good low, less than 5 lumens. The manufacturers states a high of 130 lumens, but anecdotal reports from CPF members estimate the actual output as between 150 to 180 lumens. And with the variable output, you can select any lighting level in between that you desire.

It uses relatively inexpensive and reasonably manageable NiMH batteries (I highly recommend Maha Powerex 2700's, good for 6+ months between charges). Runtime on low is about 2-1/2 days. Runtime on high with a high-capacity AA is about 90 minutes on Max. If you really need 3 hours of runtime on Max, just carry a spare battery.

There are other lights that may be beefier (tactical), or that can light up a distant target better (throw), or that may have a more luxurious beam (warm, floody). But for overall practicality and convenience, you're not going to find a better buy than the D10. Or, if you really prefer RCR123's, then consider the Nitecore EX10.

Last edited: