Recommend best "kitchen light" (wedding present...)

Newly Enlightened
Greetings y'all. Welcome to my 1st post.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best, most veresatile LED light to reside in the kitchen drawer and serve a multitude of purposes. This is part of a wedding present I'm putting together with the theme of "fantastic kitchen tools." I've already acquired the world's greatest cook-top pepper mill and am now moving on to the flashlight.

Anyhoo, here are some traits I think it should have:
- LED, AA powered
- can stand on end as emergency "candle"
- great range, aka high-high and low-low
- price not a problem

My own experience says a Fenix L2D Q5 would be good but would like to hear what the community thinks.

Thanks,
-Jim, aka 251

Nick2cd

Newly Enlightened
How about a Nitecore D10. You could even buy them some energizer lithium AA's to go with it. $59 shipped isn't a bad price, and if you use the CPF discount i think it comes to $54 and change.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I like the L2D Q5 for more general purposes but the D10 if the guy is a flashlight nut.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix AA L1D/L2D/L1T ...the Nitecore D10 i wouldnt for your needs get because it may sit in the drawer for a long time without use and battery will drain from mcu , yes you can lock it out but chances are the user will forget to do so and when time comes to use light its not at full capacity due to battery drain

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've only met the guy once, but he's active military and I'm sure will really like any 1st class light. I tend to consider the D10 as EDC rather than kitchen drawer utility, but indeed it's a great torch.

I guess part of this is the "wedding gift oh-wow" factor - a light that's impressive at 1st glance but has the usability factors for long term saticfaction. Pocketability not important.

Is there a TK10-ish light but one that is capable of standing on its rear?

Thanks for the help - any more is most welcome...

victor01

Newly Enlightened
- LED, AA powered
- can stand on end as emergency "candle"
- great range, aka high-high and low-low
- price not a problem

My own experience says a Fenix L2D Q5 would be good but would like to hear what the community thinks.

Thanks,
-Jim, aka 251

I would recommend the Nitecore D10 since it met all your requirements, especially it has a lower low level

gOhAsE

Newly Enlightened
Normal AA batteries like Alkalines don't work very well in single AA lights (too much current draw -> very short runtime). You would have to use Lithium batteries all the time at least.

I would go for the E20 - has not too much current draw and so it is even usable with alkalines.