In vehicle rechargeable w/ huge throw??

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
i am looking for a light that will charge in the truck like a magcharger, but has massive throw. i have looked at the hid torches like xenon torch, but kinda want to stay led. heres what ive been thinkin: maybe a magcharger with a triple or quad drop-in kit(malkoff or something compareable), maybe a asperical lense and a scalloped benzel. would this even come close to the xenon torch. i mean i know it wont be anywhere near the lumens, but will it throw about the same distance?? anyone know if this would be a good setup?? or does anyone have any suggestions??

light has to be charged in vehicle!!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
The short answer is that no LED will throw like an HID. The farthest throwing LED are behind aspheric lenses but the overall output is a fraction to that of any HID light. The main problem with aspheric lenses is that the beam angle is so narrow and there is almost zero spill light. Although fun, they're not practical for many applications.

Regarding multiple LED arrangements, these typically produce more overall output but less throw than aspherics or a single LED behind a good reflector.

Why is it so important that it's rechargeable from a vehicle? Almost any charger can be adapted to charge from a 12V source, even if you have to use an inefficient power inverter. Most single LED lights in large housing like a maglite will have such long run-time that portable charging is almost an afterthought unless you'll have to rely on that alone for several days.

A magcharger with 1160 or 1166 bulb would perform very well both in the throw department and overall output. Since I don't know how you'll be using the light I can't make any more specific recommendations though.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the best throwing led lights I know of is the Pelican 7060. It has a cradle charger and you can get the DC plug tho use it in the car.

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
The reason i wanted in vehicle charging is b/c i want a light that is 1000 lumens or greater. and yeah i might be in a camping situation where i will have to rely on my truck to recharge the light. And i don't want to have to take batteries out and put in a regular nimh charger hooked to an inverter. im ok with a charger that will plug into the light i just dont want to have to take any batteries out. yeah it sounds like the asperical lense is not what i want. i still want some spill not just all throw. i have a 3d mag w/ a malkoff single drop-in the 240 lumen model and i love it!! I just want a light that will at least throw this far but be alot brighter for my truck if that makes any sense. i also like a longer light like the maglite (i guess i just feel safer carrying a small baton!) i have also seen some scalloped heads for the maglites on here before i think maybe they were called turbo heads??

Last edited:

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I think the cheap 1000000CP spotlights would meet most of your requirements, though they are not LED. Mine was $5 on sale, and came w/ a car charger and a wall charger. Not real high quality though, as it just took a dive after about 6 months of light use.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Magcharger with a TerraLUX TLE-300MR drop in (from battery junction) is probably gonna be your best bet. It'll give you 500-600 lumens in a tried and trusted rechargeable package.

From everything I've seen and read you're not gonna get 1000 lumens from an LED, only from a 12v incan or HID. But I could be wrong.

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the input guys it really helped me decide on what to get. I decided to go with a streamlight sl20x with a triple q5 dropin!

BVH

Flashaholic
The upcoming L35 will have the throw and more Lumens than you're after. The new 12 Volt, automotive plug-in charger that will come with it will have a boost circuit built into it allowing it to charge the "higher than automotive voltage" Lithium Polymer battery (excellent ultra-low self discharge characteristics). This charger will also be available ala-carte to retro-fit N30's.

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff is coming out with one pretty soon. actually i think i got the first one. It's going to be here Sat.!!! i can't wait to see this thing around 700 lumens from a stock battery pack!!!:rock:

Kremer

Enlightened
sorry to be off the original topic.

20x/35x LA's work mighty well in the Tigerlight, I wonder if/how well a Malkoff build would do in it. :whistle::devil:

It would HAVE to be cheaper and probably brighter than the supposed upcoming Tigerlight LED upgrade.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I recommend getting the Coleman rechargeable 530 lumen LED spotlight. It comes with a car charger and a standard house charger, and it can be run while plugged into either charger.

It has a perfect round daylight color beam.

I shined it at some trees I estimated to be 1/4 of a mile away and it lit them up nicely. It has a brighter ring of spill than my 35 watt HID spotlight. It just doesn't have as bright a hotspot as my HID, but it still out throws my 1 million candlepower spotlight.

It is a Tri-star configuration LED flashlight with 3 CREE XR-E emitters. Its package states a 2.5 hour runtime.

I got mine at Sears for $60, and I am amazed with it. It looks 5 times brighter than my 150 lumen Task Force LED flashlight.

Here is a page with great pictures and information about it:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4351-700&categoryid=1120

And here is another page with the lowest price for it:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8187724

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to be off the original topic.

20x/35x LA's work mighty well in the Tigerlight, I wonder if/how well a Malkoff build would do in it. :whistle::devil:

It would HAVE to be cheaper and probably brighter than the supposed upcoming Tigerlight LED upgrade.

Kremer

I have a milkyspit modded Tigerlight FBOP. 4 Seoul P4's with 20 mm reflectors. Puts out about 550 lumens.