anyone know the FV or bin code of the ssc P7 used by MTE (2 mode)???

willymcd

Newly Enlightened
I want to know the forward voltage of the P7 in the MTE 2 mode flashlight, i emailed MTE but never got a reply. It is in direct drive on high right? Acording to SSC the C bin is 800 lumens, but there is a huge variety of acceptible forward voltage depending on what the bin code is, going all the way up to 4.5V with every step in .25V incraments. So where does the MTE P7 fall in that scale?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That depends on the Vf bin they use. From what I see from CPF most of the P7s used seem to have around 3.6v Vf(I recall some having a resistor as the "driver").

Do you have a link to the light?

Marduke

Flashaholic
IIRC, flux binning does not take into account the varying Vf. Why the particular interest in the Vf?

willymcd

Newly Enlightened
Because i want to run a battery pack with 4 18650 in parallel. Doing such i guess the V will be higher for longer, and don't want to overdo it on the P7.

Am i wrong with this?

IIRC, flux binning does not take into account the varying Vf. Why the particular interest in the Vf?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Heatsinking is your biggest concern. For continued operation, you would ideally use a much larger heatsink that the MTE has.

willymcd

Newly Enlightened
Heatsinking is your biggest concern. For continued operation, you would ideally use a much larger heatsink that the MTE has.

Well I will be using it for MT. biking, so i think there will be enough cool airflow over the light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've seen somewhere here where the P7 was damaged when direct driving off of 2 18650s in parallel. The P7 was on a pretty hefty heatsink.

You might need a driver.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
You should be OK if you make sure the LED doesn't get more than 2.8 amps continuous (and monitor the temp of the light when your bike is not moving). It can be run short-term higher than that but not worth it (heat and shortened life) for the slight increase in brightness over 2.8A. Keep in mind when you measure current with the multitester that the test leads and maybe the tester will introduce resistance that will give a lower than actual amperage reading--at least that's what some people found.