What to do with my Surefire L4?

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Surefire K4. It just doesn't WOW me anymore. I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I hate the thought of selling it.

So first question, has there been any revisions over the years and how do I identify what I have? I got it around 2005 or 6. It looks like the picture on the Surefire website.

Are there any mods I should consider?

If I sell it, should I just sell the head or sell the whole thing? I feel like I should at least hold onto the 2 cell body.

I upgraded my E1L to a KX1, so I have KL1 head laying around and a 2-stage tailcap. That's not a bad setup on the 2 cell body. Any other ideas on what to do with this stuff? I don't have any specific needs, just looking to mess around. Thanks.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait 'till the Quad cree led come out and swap the led, and you will get KL4 with twice the output.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need the funds, why not just keep the L4. Get some rechargeables 17670, bore the body a bit and you have a rechargeable solution.

I had one before and I really like the beam pattern.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stuffed 3 Seouls in mine and made a "3-eyed Mule" (as Donn named it)

It is now a total flood light with NO hotspot. It illuminates my entire back yard....nice and evenly:grin2:

SF416.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
the L4 is possibly the hottest non-hotwire light I have ever used:candle:
the runtime is :shrug: [its not a very efficient light on cr123as, but unfortunately newer generation bodies are not compatible with 17670s:ohgeez:
the output [flood] is :twothumbs:
the output [throw] is :whistle:

If your tint is white enough it makes an awesome photography light. If you don't like it...put it aside, if you ever get back to it usually by then your thought process will change and go into "hey, this light is nice":nana:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stuffed 3 Seouls in mine and made a "3-eyed Mule" (as Donn named it)

It is now a total flood light with NO hotspot. It illuminates my entire back yard....nice and evenly:grin2:
That looks fantastic! Did you do that yourself?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, he did. DaFAB's a freaking wizard like that. Anyway, Lightwait, hold on to your L4. There are plenty of modification routes should you choose to take them, plus you can just buy a new E series head and put it on the body. The 120 lumen KX2C comes to mind.

ugrey

Enlightened
Go to OpticsHQ and get thw new KX2C head. It is essentially the new L4 head. 120 lumens for $135.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. You saved the L4 from the auction block. I'll keep it and see what comes up. Lots of options.

If your tint is white enough it makes an awesome photography light.
Great point, I forgot all about that. It does make a nice photography light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Can't beat that beam in a small head. I would like it to be a little less "hot" when run for more than 5 minutes or so. Could probably find a very good W--S and swap out stock Lux V, then dial the mA's to the LED down. Thing is, even though the heat factor bothers me I do not want to compromise the beam quality by going to a Seoul P4, though maybe a nice V bin P4 Seoul would be good with a diffusion film on the window. Keep mA's to LED to 750 or so. Just thinking out loud.

Bill

Illum

Flashaholic
well, unlike the cheap chinese 5W lights the KL4 drives the luxV at 5 WATTS....so the heat is to be expected. If you could find a way to waterproof it, it'll make an awesome dive light...for the swimming pool:crackup:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to OpticsHQ and get thw new KX2C head. It is essentially the new L4 head. 120 lumens for $135.

The slight glitch in that is that the KX2C head doesn't have the same "wall of light" beam that the KL4 had. There's a lot to like about the KX2C, but if what you like is the incredibly even beam that good L4s have, it's not the same.