Minimag GS

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, got my shipment of GS leds in (will be sending them out quicker than the DS for ya'all as I am not going up north *again* this week :sigh: ) so I decided to drop one in my 2aa minimag just to see.

:twothumbs

Very nice, I would estimate approx equal output on unused but hardly fresh alky AA cells to that of the stock bulb on nimh. Couldn't pull a good voltage reading off the light for some reason, got a non-sensical .7vdc, but its drawing 12.2mA. So I'm figuring I should see an absurd runtime out of this (its direct drive) but I really couldn't guess b/c I'm not sure how the vf will react.

Has anybody else done this? Would sanding the leads down so the led will seat completely result in a tighter focusing ability?

smopoim86

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that to get more focusablility you would have to flatten the dome of the led like the smjleds are.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't think its worth that. That GS is running great off the 2xAA and the reflector is picking up that bit of side scatter and throwing it out into a floody spot.

wwglen

Enlightened
I will be using at least one of mine (when it comes) in a minimag.

Will round out and polish the dome of like I did my "Homade SMJLED's" a few years ago.

wwglen

alibaba

Enlightened
I don't own a MM but I run a GS in a Photon II with a 3v 2032 batt and it is EASILY 5+ lumens with great runtime. Even the DS runs perfectly well (better?) at 3v and low currents......................plenty of light for many uses. I've already changed a car tire, navigated through dark woods and lit up a dark apartment (pointed Photon at ceiling) enough for a power-outage card game and I did it all with a single Photon with 2032 batt. Great stuff!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I recall someone on CPF "found" an LED in a parking lot, and just for the heck of it shoved it into a 2AA MM and praised it for its white-ish, floody beam and LOOONG run times.

on yours, how is the color tint? Is there any trace of blue?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put one in my photon2 as well... Very unhappy with it. Not sure why as all the contacts are good but its dimmer than my 20,000mcd DX fauxton on my keychain??

As for the color tint, its very much like what the other gs beamshots I've seen are. Blue/white hotspot with a large and bright yellow floody surround. I'll see about posting a shot later, but I gotta get the rest of these leds packaged to shipment too!

I don't own a MM but I run a GS in a Photon II with a 3v 2032 batt and it is EASILY 5+ lumens with great runtime. Even the DS runs perfectly well (better?) at 3v and low currents......................plenty of light for many uses. I've already changed a car tire, navigated through dark woods and lit up a dark apartment (pointed Photon at ceiling) enough for a power-outage card game and I did it all with a single Photon with 2032 batt. Great stuff!