Nitecore Extreme, Fenix TK11 or P3D?

Gator762

Enlightened
I'm looking for something brighter to carry with me, that might be more suitable for EDC and defense. I carried the standard L1D CE and personally it seemed Fenix's 90 lumens isn't enough for that purpose. I think I'm down to the listed lights. With all lights I'll be using rechargables, whether I pick up RCR123's or 18650, I have to buy those too.

On the NiteCore Extreme, what is the interface like?

I recently picked up an L0D and a L1D CE Q5. I do prefer the rear switch interface to the twisty interface. I really like the L1D interface - 1 click on max brightness, then strobe is 1 click away. All the other modes are still easily available by a quick twist of the bezel.

Damn this site, I'm becoming an addict! :)

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I have the Tk-10 and while I love it , it's a bit large for EDC in my opinion. As far as defense goes, of course it's not a weapon but it is pretty blindingly bright. The crenelated bezel is smoothly scalloped so it will not tear up your pocket but it isn't a strike bezel either. That's all I got for ya. hope this helps.:)

Gator762

Enlightened
As for defense, more along the lines of blazingly bright than a striking weapon. Actually, to be honest, defense isn't too important, more for the blazingly bright tool/toy factor.

Gator762

Enlightened
Took another look, and am leaning toward a P3D now.

Nitecore Extreme
Pros - great output for 1 CR123, EDC size and pocket clip. Knurling, heatsinking, and looks good.
Cons - not too crazy about interface (ie, twist bezel for max to strobe), no tailstand

TK11
Pros - great output and throw
Cons - bit large for EDC, no tailstand. No strobe?

P3D
Pros - size OK for EDC, tailstand, interface (on - max, momentary to strobe)
Cons - no pocket clip

I carry an L1D with the holster, so an extra .7" on a holster should be no big deal. Of course, a light with more throw might be a better complement to an L0D Q4, so I'm still stuck... The other con with the latter 2 is I'm starting to have too many Fenix lights. :)

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an EDC the P3D would be the best choice, in my opinion.
The TK11 is quite heavy and a bit large. The Extreme is heavier than the P3D and doesn't have an interface that is as straight forward as the P3D.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P3D, a TK10 and an Extreme. Of the three because I carry the light in my pocket only the Nitecore is OK for EDC.

In case I used a holster I would certainly carry the TK10 for its power and excellent beam. IMHO the P3D starts to be a bit outdated and it's too slick for a sure grip; mine has a smooth reflector which does not help the quality of the beam.

Gator762

Enlightened
I carry a L1D now, and am used to the slick grip. Was never really much of an issue with me, but I was thinking that could easily be cured with some grip tape.

There isn't much for heat dissipation on the P3D - how is it running on turbo for an extended period, say 15 minutes?

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gator762,

I can't tell you about the Nitecore! I don't have one and I've never had one in my hands.

As mentioned before, the TK10 ist bigger than the P3D, so size and weight may not be so suitable for EDC.

I have a P3D as well and I carry it with my every day on my duty belt. So I know the following things: you just don't feel the weight, the size ist superb for EDC and concerning output the P3D offers the right output for whatever you want to do.

On some missions, where I did not wear a uniform, I put the P3D into my pocket. I'm not a big fan of the jeans, most of the time, I wear outdoor trousers with big bags on the legs. The P3D gets in there and I have never had the problem, that it was activatet accidently!

I think about getting a P2D for private use (EDC). It is smaller, but that's just fine for me and in private, I can handle the less output!

Just my 2 €ct.

Stephan

MoreLumens4Me

Newly Enlightened
I have a P3d q5 and a holster on my belt and I love it; I hardly know its there. I love having such a bright light but yet so small in my opinion.:thumbsup:

Gator762

Enlightened
Thanks again for the replies!

I really thought I would have bought a light by now, but I'm restricting myself a bit so I stepped back. I also want a really bright P7 light. (Either a factory or modded mag). My restrictions are:
1. Both lights can take recharge able batteries.
2. The carry able light must also be able to take primaries.
3. The big P7 and carry able light share the same battery type.

As of now my only rechargeable format is AA and AAA. They should take the same battery so I don't have millions of batteries lying around for all the different formats (not to mention the money).

That gives the nod to the TK11, which can run 18650's and CR123s. But it's a bit large to EDC. 18650 seems to be a pretty good & common source for the high output P7 lights out there.

Last edited: