Help me pick my next light!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I think I've narrowed it down a bit...
  • Lummi Raw
    [*]Alu Raw​
    [*]Raw AL​
    [*]Raw NS​
  • Ra Twisty (which one?)
  • Nitecore Defender Infinity
  • Nitecore D10

Anything else I should consider?

Major questions: which Nitecore series has the better UI?
Is the Ra Clicky worth it over the Ra Twisty? I'm inclined to say no because I love the Twisty UI.
Should the Ra Twisty have a red LED for low, or use the main one?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I don't have experience with the NDI, but I do have a D10... It's a pretty nice torch, but the UI is kinda annoying sometimes... It either doesn't ramp when you want it to, ramps in the wrong direction, jumps to high, or switches off... Otherwise it's a decent light if you have patience.

I own a Ra Twisty 85Tr, and it's pretty fantastic.. The twisting action is a little stiff, but it's easy to get used to.. .. If you're concerned about maximum brightness, I'd suggest buying a 100Tr (though the difference of 15lm compared against the extra cost may not be worth it) (85lm is plenty bright for most applications).. If you don't find the low red useful you can always just program it to be low white... If you don't want to spend $180 on the lowest model of the Ra Clicky, and you like the UI of the Twisty, the 100Tr can't be beat... Just one thing to consider is the beam pattern of the Tr versions, since they are a bit more 'throwy' and have a tighter spot but cooler tint.. I don't have a Tw so I can't comment on the beam.

I have a older Orb Raw coming to me with a K2 UXOL in it.. Haven't used it yet, but i predict it'll be a sweet pocket torch; perfect for EDC when the Twisty durability and the D10 battery source aren't more necessary..
The Raws use CR2, which might limit you if you ever find yourself running low on batteries and not being able to charge up or buy a disposable...

I don't know what your intended uses are, but if you're not into a Click UI then the Raw and the Twisty are the way to go. You can get a 85Tr for a pretty decent price now and a Raw with the extra cash ;).
The D10 is great if you want common batteries, and a pretty pocketable size, but the UI leaves plenty to be desired, in my opinion.

Good luck with your choice.. All the torches you listed are great in their own respects. I tip my hat towards the Ra/Raw setup :naughty:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Ra Twisty (which one?)
I prefer the wider beam, but the narrow beam is still plenty floody, throws better, and is probably overall more useful. The red low is a non-issue - if you don't like it, reprogram it to a white low.

I should add that as much as I love the Ra Twisty, my NovaTac is still my EDC. The NovaTac still has the best UI of any flashlight, IMO. And I definitely have high hopes for the Ra Clicky.

• Nitecore Defender Infinity
  • Nitecore D10
I prefer the UI of the NDI and Extreme, and would opt for the Extreme for the E-series compatibility - think of it as a Q5 head upgrade for a one or two cell Surefire (using a 17670 in the two cell, of course). A Nightcore Extreme head on a Mirage_Man 18650 body with a McClicky-based tailcap is a very nice set-up.

pauly

Newly Enlightened
I would deffinatly go for a Lummi Raw as it's a proper custom made light and you will love the feel and qualitly build.
Also, it's a great size, has a tritium vial and you can hang it around your neck etc, the low setting makes the battery last for ages and the high setting is about as bright as you will get, your friends will be amazed!
I would recomend the Raw Ti if you have enough money, it will be your most prized light, if that's to much the Raw NS.
Good luck with your dessision!