New TRI-MODE light at shoplifestlye.com

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Gang:
I found this nifty little unit "Xeon, LED,CCFL Light - Product #FL001". Sorry I am unable to post the link. The thing only costs $30 plus S & H. It's an odd looking device, but it does actually work. The Xeon bulb is (mildly) focusable, the florescent part lights up a room pretty well, and it fires either only three or all six LEDs at a time. Cool blue translucent case, anti-roll shape, uses 4AA batteries, and has a comfortable grip. If it wasn't for the #@!%%$# switch which must cycle through all five modes, I'd probally be really excited. Packed with lithium batteries, it might be a good choice for home or office emergency use - as you have three basic choice on how to burn up the batteries. (Provide of course, that lithiums won't destroy it.)
Any comments?

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zerox:
and just why are you unable to post a link<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw the same light, in the mail order catalog. No URL's in the catalog. Maybe try a google search?

I was very tempted by this light, as it does seem to have the best of everything, except that I couldn't tell how large the light was (it looked big for a 4AA), and how well made it was was also a concern. Is the case fairly, or reasonably rugged?

How does the incandescent beam look, with 6 LED's breaking up the reflector? Can you get a decent spot with a reasonably good reach?

Whoever designed and manufactured this light really has a lot of credit coming. While it could probably benefit from a CPF input redesign (what light, aside from the heavily CPF influenced Arc lights, couldn't? Of course, it would wind up made of titanium, and cost $250....), you have to respect whoever put a Xenon lamp, 6 white LED's *and* a CCF tube all in one light.
They are on the cutting edge of the best the portable light world has going.

But......no HID lamp??? (he he he...)
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted about this light on one of the "temp" CPF's. Looked interesting. It would cost shipping both ways, but they do have a 30 day return. TX

Brock

Flashaholic
Man, I would have bought one until I heard you had to cycle through all the modes to get them, I just can't deal with that. Does it at least start in the last mode it was in or does it have a 6th off position?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cycle through multiple modes before turning off is very annoying. It will be a big winner if it has the same switching design as Switchback from PT. Press and hold the button for 1 second will turn the light on or off. Simple press cycle through different mode. The light remember the last mode when you switch the light on again.

Alan

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gandalf:
Sorry this took so long. The light appears decently, though not impressively rugged. It might be made of super tough polycarbonate - or just cheap translucent plastic. (I can't tell the difference without doing a hammer test.) It IS a bit on the large size - definately NOT a compact unit. While the florescent output is decently smooth, the incandescent beam is NOT a pretty sight: it will however light up a building at 50 plus yards, and a stop sign at about 100 yds. LED patterns show various arc shapes at close range, but this is less visible at distance. All in all, not exactly a photon-phanatics dream, but definately a move in a good direction.