Requesting reccomendations + a quick question

jeffreyliu838

Newly Enlightened
Right now, I'm looking for a good, small keychain light for my keys. I have a budget of no more than 30 bucks. It has to be very rugged, very durable, and waterproof. I want a bright light, of course (the more lumens, the merrier), but I definitely favor battery life. I prefer forward clicky buttons, but I guess I won't be finding much of those, so I won't mind twisty's. I'd prefer standard battery sizes (like AA, AAA, ect), but it's not a super huge deal. I like consistency. I want a very well regulated light. Any suggestions?

Also, my quick question: How long does a Romisen RC C3 last? Does anybody have an output graph for it? I'm wondering how well regulated it is.

Thanks.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Let me tell you that in that price range there isn't any competition!
Fenix E01 from Fenixstore.com, use discount code CPF8 for a super deal. You can get 2 for your mentioned budget.

Research it if you like.

frank777

Enlightened
For $30, you can get the highly reliable Arc-AAA. It is significantly smaller than the Fenix.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It's not signifigantly smaller, smaller yes but not that much so.
And where are you buying your ARC's from for 30 bucks? I know they aren't new ones.

Look at numbers 4 and 5 side by side.
DSC_1794a.JPG

I'm sorry for stealing this pic but I needed an example fast.

Last edited:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I agree that the e01 is probably the way to go. Clicky's are nice, but if it is in your pocket all the time it will probably get activated, thats why keychain lights are almost always twisty's im guessing.
You might also want to check out the gerber infinity ultra which is AA instead of AAA, but the fenix is much more pocket friendly.
The Rc-c3 uses cr123's I think which is a less common battery type. I think its runtime is like 1.5 hrs full power than another hour or so declining brightness.

jeffreyliu838

Newly Enlightened
I guess E01 it is.

^^^ What discount code are you talking about =) Is it for the Fenix site? Do they take paypal?

EDIT: I've noticed that the E01 has no protective glass in front of the bulb. Does this affect the water resistance of it? I'm afraid of dropping it a sink or a puddle, or having heavy rain...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes you can use Paypal. There is a box for a coupon code when you check out, in it type "CPF8".
Fenix-store.com
Now you have to pick body color. Black, Blue, Gold, Purple, or Olive. I have orange but don't see it listed at the moment.

Head is potted so you won't need a lens to retain waterproofness. There are pics on CPF of these lights running down in glasses of water.:grin2:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
the fenix e01, and fenix's in general are quite tough. I have read threads of ppl here who dropped their e01's from fifth floor buildings and frozen them in ice and had them still work. Consider going for the LOD though. I got the e01 at first too because spending 45 bucks on a keychain flashlight seemed crazy to me and I loved the e01, but eventually i couldnt resist the LOD and traded up and gave the e01 to my gf.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the beam sucks and it is not very bright. (on the ARC AAA)
Tint is terrible too.
There are better lights in his budget than the ARC.
Personally I would spend a few more bucks and get a lot more light like the L1D ce.
bang for buck size and price it is a darn good little light.
I can't recomend the E01 since I don't have one and aren't really interested in it.
the other creally cool tint light is the L0D, a AAA light that rocks for it's size. it makes for a great drop in replacment for the ARC AAA except it has a beam which is clean and bright by comparson.
Have fun.
Yaesumofo

For $30, you can get the highly reliable Arc-AAA. It is significantly smaller than the Fenix.

jeffreyliu838

Newly Enlightened
I don't really want modes that rely on clicks. In my experience, when the mode feature relies on the clicky, it will eventually become a hassle. Modes that rely on a twist though, I like, but unfortunately, they aren't too common =/

So, any more suggestions before I go for the E01?

jeffreyliu838

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, just saw the L1T. That looks really good. Does anyone have side by side pics of the L1t and the E01? If the L1t isn't too big, and has a good rep, I think I'll get that one.

EDIT: Is there any difference at all between the L1S and the L1T? Besides appearances of course.

Thanks.

Last edited:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
just look at the fenix store it gives the exact measurements of the L1T and the e01. The L1T is of course a great light, but it doesn't really seem like you know what you want.....its an inch longer and half an inch wider than the e01, not to mention more than three times the price. It's still a small light and very much pocketable, but not really keychain size at that point IMHO.
EDIT: Look at the photo above and if you look carefully you can spot both the e01 and the L1T there and see the difference.

Last edited:

jeffreyliu838

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, the L1t is a lot bigger...I wanted to see a pic to put things into perspective. 2 cm's is a lot bigger than I thought it'd be...

I guess E01 for now. Maybe L1t when I buy pants with bigger pockets. Thanks for the help guys.

I am still curious about one thing though- What is the difference between the L1S and the L1t?

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Another vote for the LOD-CE. A great multi-level light with impressive output, and still small enough for keychain carry.

alibaba

Enlightened
If it needs to fit on a keychain I'd go with the LOD as well. Here are some runtimes: http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/Fenix L0D CE/
The E01 will run longer (especially on an alkaline) but cannot touch the output, beam quality and tint of the LOD. If you value runtime more than overall output (and the E01 is plenty for just lookin' around in the dark) then the E01 might be better. If you go for the LOD then get some good NiMH rechargeables.....................

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
But the beam sucks and it is not very bright. (on the ARC AAA)
Tint is terrible too.
There are better lights in his budget than the ARC.
Personally I would spend a few more bucks and get a lot more light like the L1D ce.
bang for buck size and price it is a darn good little light.
I can't recomend the E01 since I don't have one and aren't really interested in it.
the other creally cool tint light is the L0D, a AAA light that rocks for it's size. it makes for a great drop in replacment for the ARC AAA except it has a beam which is clean and bright by comparson.
Have fun.
Yaesumofo

Wholy (!) Macro!! I would have never thought Yaesumofo would be recommending a Fenix :)
I would have guessed Surefire G2.

- Vikas

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a bright light...

The Fenix E01 is not a good option. Very well built and all but i feel sorry for the purple weak beam. Doesnt even compare to the cheap fauxtons when comes to brightness. Runtime is very good...almost whole night.

I have the KD Buckle V4 tough Q5, it is very bright for its size but runtime is only 20 minutes with a freshly charged rayovac 1.2v nimh, and after 15 minutes gets rerally hot. I've been carrying this for about 2 weeks and pretty happy with it.

The Romisen C3 mentioned in this page... It is very bright, i would say 2 times brighter than the fenix T1 in low mode. but it gets hot (almost too hot to hold it) when u use it for 10 minutes. The battery life is around 25 minutes with a trustfire 880mah rcr123.

I've readed lot of good reviews of the Arc and Fenix L0D, im planning to buy those too... There is also a new 10440/AAA Q5 Ultrafire A3 from dx and seems to be pretty good.

Hope this can help you..