My new E2D LED Defender

jaythebull

Newly Enlightened
My light addiction started so long ago with an innocent Fenix purchase. Now I don't remember which one it was - but it was love. Then I added a Deree Light and thought lights couldn't get any better. Then I found the world of SureFire. I started out with an L1, then picked up an E1B to carry with me to work. Yesterday I received my new E2D LED Defender. All I can say is WOW. That is one bright light. I used it last night as I was taking the garbage out. I had to mostly keep it on low - as high was just too bright.

Not sure where I will go next. I definately have the worst bug of all - the SureFire bug.

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
My light addiction started so long ago with an innocent Fenix purchase. Now I don't remember which one it was - but it was love. Then I added a Deree Light and thought lights couldn't get any better. Then I found the world of SureFire. I started out with an L1, then picked up an E1B to carry with me to work. Yesterday I received my new E2D LED Defender. All I can say is WOW. That is one bright light. I used it last night as I was taking the garbage out. I had to mostly keep it on low - as high was just too bright.

Not sure where I will go next. I definately have the worst bug of all - the SureFire bug.

I'm confused. I see so many positive comments about Surefires, but other than its being nice for Americans to support American-made products, what is the attraction of Surefires? Is their quality so much better than that of a Fenix or OLight?

The specs of an E2D Defender show that it puts out 120 lumens, whereas my Fenix TK11 claims up to 225. What gives?

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
Surefire routinely underestimates the output of their lights. Most of their ratings are OTF (out-the-front) ratings on half battery life. Fenix (and most other companies) rate their lights in bulb lumens... the ideal output of the diode.

Here's a beamshot of a 225 bulb lumen rated TK10:
ATK10.jpg

Here's the 120 lumen OTF E2DL:
AE2DL.jpg

The shots were taken at a camera-to-subject distance of 25 feet using a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 28-85mm zoom. The focal length was 58mm, shutter speed 1/3 second, aperture F4.0, and ISO 200.

The TK10 has a bit more spill but that's just about the only difference. Surefire's build quality and QC is better, their parts are modular (allowing for custom configurations), they have a lifetime warranty... etc etc. Years ago I scoffed at Surefire's prices. I got one in a trade, experienced it for myself, and now have a bunch of them. I find them to be more reliable.

More beamshot comparisons HERE

Last edited:

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the hotspot on the E2DL might be just a little brighter, did you find this true? Does it throw a bit further? Now I am really excited. I ordered an E2DL from Matt at Battery Junction and am waiting to get it!

jaythebull

Newly Enlightened
For me it is the build quality. A SureFire light just feels solid in my hand. And though I am not a law enforcement or public safety person - I enjoy the quality of the light. I know that my SureFire's are going to work when needed.

jaythebull

Newly Enlightened
Mine came from Battery Junction as well. The throw to me seems amazing. It really is almost too bright on high, unless you are lighting things up a good bit out in front of you.

It looks like the hotspot on the E2DL might be just a little brighter, did you find this true? Does it throw a bit further? Now I am really excited. I ordered an E2DL from Matt at Battery Junction and am waiting to get it!

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
The beamshot web is just too good to be true.
I am thinking of M60 and E2DL, how is the beam of E2DL compared with that of M60?

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I just opened up my birthday gift and voila ~ I am the proud owner of a new E2DL. After reading everything I could about this light, I am excited for it to get dark so I can, uh, do some research on it in the backyard.

Fine, I'm going to wander around the backyard and light up the trees, but we just won't tell the neighbors what I'm really doing.

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm confused. I see so many positive comments about Surefires, but other than its being nice for Americans to support American-made products, what is the attraction of Surefires?

theres this engineering essence to it....Not sure how you would call it, primarily based on the design of the light itself, not judging on the performance RELATIVE to other companies. Surefire itself is a relatively new company compared to say Mag Instruments, yet almost every model created have been accepted as a benchmark for quality, build, etc...not so much for performance as third party material such as lamps were used to boost their performance.

You'll find mixed results if you make inquiries as to whether their quality so much better than that of a Fenix or OLight. But one thing is for certain, Fenix et al's quality has been pretty much on par with surefire which makes any non-biased comparisons very hard, up to now several threads that appear with fenix vs surefire has been locked due to ad hominem attacks.:shakehead

before fenix et al...Surefire used to be "the best money can buy" lights, now I cannot say with certainty whether that reputation can still hold up to its name, with all these other reputable companies about....it ends up being a "brand name loyalty/mental trap" issue. :(

this would be off topic should discussions like this continue here, your welcome to start a thread but be ambiguous as to what your comparing to as stated before, surefire vs fenix usually end up in the dustbin around here.

Congrats to your E2DL~!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several surefires and they are not so great that I must carry them everywhere. Actually, I don't carry them anywhere at all. I have carried my L1 to a movie once and it scratched up what was also in my pocket.

They aren't that useful in my eyes, I always prefer to carry nitecore, streamlight, O-Light, or something else.

The Malkoff dropins are probably 80% of my attraction to surefire. Maybe 5 or 10% is just the "I have a nice surefire" thing. I got a E2DL single mode (high only) and I'm sure there's a good use for that light... but I haven't found it. :shrug:

cdosrun

Enlightened
I have been thinking about getting a Surefire recently, I like the look of the E2DL and am really tempted to get one just to see if they live upto the hype. I have played with a couple of Surefires recently, the buttons seem especially nice and it was the first thing I noticed about them.

Is Battery Station about the best place to buy them (I'm based in the UK). I don't have any multi-celled lights yet so I think I will need one of the ZTS testers as well.

Andrew

Last edited:

pipspeak

Enlightened
I'd classify the E2DL as a good outdoor light because it's bright and throws well but the TIR optic means there is not a great deal of sidespill light that is more useful indoors. Even on the 5-lumen setting it's too much of a thrower for indoor use IMO. It's become my nighttime walk light and the hotspot is easily as bright at 20+ feet as any 200 lumen light I've used. It also has the best clicky feel of any light I own.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the OP:

Time to dive into the world of Malkoffs - but first you need to get that killer host!

I went through an L1, E2DL, E1B and couldnt decide what next - then I got my hands on a C2 Centurion + Malkoff M60 and M60L. All I can say is WOW what a tank of a light!!!

The greatest thing about getting a good p60 host like a C2 (or 6P, 9P, C3, G2, G3) is that you can always keep it up to date with the newest technology through simple and easy drop-ins. Its a bit harder with the E and L series where a new head is needed and, personally, I can't muster heading down the modding route...yet... :naughty:

So... GO FOR THE C2 + A MALKOFF!!! :thumbsup: I promise you will be happy.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Yes this SF E2DL is an outstandinging light. I actually have 3 of these and they are excellent. I even bet my life on these, as 2 E2DLs are on Bushmaster AR 15s, mounted w/ offset QD LaRue mounts. And I would swear they are more than 120 lumens, this appears very conservative. They are bright and can be a 76 hour candle, on low, also here in Hurricane alley.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
I have been doing this for several months now, and no problems at all even firing 100 round Beta C Mags on full blast.

i would not use the E2DL on a firearm, since the two mode circuit may be tripped under recoil and switch mode on you. THere is a thread on this topic somewhere.

Now if you got one of the KX2Cs.....

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't mean to hijack this thread but as it seems like there are plenty of E2DL owners I have a quick question:

If I do some wall-hunting I can see a clear bezel outline in the spill but only around about half the light... this leads me to believe that the LED is slightly off center.

Is this normal? I know it functionally doesn't matter one bit but... just curious. Anybody else experience this?

I tried to get a picture but could not get it to come out.

Other than this minute gripe, I absolutely LOVE this light! Perfect urban EDC for my bag with the E1B in my pocket - this pair is amazing!!!

Thanks!