Nitecore Extreme SS bezel beautiful disappointment

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
After much contemplation I ordered the Nitecore Extreme from 4 Sevens. My Nitecore Extreme arrived today. Five minutes later it's headed BACK to Atlanta!:sigh:

The settings DO NOT WORK as claimed. It is frustrating to order something so expensive and NOT have it live up to expectations. Good thing I bought from 4 Sevens . They wil make it right! My light has 2 settings HIGH and a medium low.:mecry:

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
You can't get it to ramp? You can't get to strobe?

In my experience, you have to do the back-and-forth twist sequence pretty quickly for it to pick up on your commands to either ramp or go to strobe. The fat o-ring can make it hard to nail at first.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a phone call prior to mailing would have been in order... It could have been a speed/execution issue...

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just 5 minutes???

That sounds way too quick and you made a rush judgement.

With all new lights I give them at least a couple of days to figure them out. I read up on posts on CPF, look at videos to get more information. Try to figure out if it's me doing something wrong, or the batteries I'm using, or truly a manufacturer defect.

I think it sounds like you definitely rushed on this, and what a waste of shipping dollars and time on your part and 4sevens. :(

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You made the right decision. A light which doesn't work like it should when you turn it on should go back. I probably would have tried a new and or different battery myself.
Hell pick up a flashlight. press the button or twist the action. The light should turn on right?
If it doesn't then what? Change the battery. if it still doesn't work send it back.
From time to time factory QC fails. It happens. 4x7's has a very good track record of taking care of things like this. An e-mail or phone call is all it takes.

Yaesumofo

After much contemplation I ordered the Nitecore Extreme from 4 Sevens. My Nitecore Extreme arrived today. Five minutes later it's headed BACK to Atlanta!:sigh:

The settings DO NOT WORK as claimed. It is frustrating to order something so expensive and NOT have it live up to expectations. Good thing I bought from 4 Sevens . They will make it right! My light has 2 settings HIGH and a medium low.:mecry:

Zenster

Enlightened
All of these various lights we buy have drastically different UI's, and those UI's generally require a little playin' and thinkin' before a person truly gets to the point where they seem at least logical, if not intuitive.

I've bought two lights recently that had me baffled for a bit, but once I got the hang of them, they made a lot of sense in their different ways and worked exactly as advertised once I got the hang of them.

Some people have an impatient personality and they expect things to always and immediately work exactly the way that they expect them to.
If they don't, then it's immediately assumed that it's the product that must be wrong.
Those people should be shopping for something like a 6P. :poke: :)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a phone call prior to mailing would have been in order... It could have been a speed/execution issue...

You are correct, that's exactly what has happened. The folks at 4 Sevens are great to deal with.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those people should be shopping for something like a 6P. :poke: :)

That's what got me hooked 5 years ago! My Surefire C3!!!:sssh:
Now I AM looking for a 6P for a GREEN KL3 GREEEN LED....

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore learning experience..........

Just 5 minutes???

That sounds way too quick and you made a rush judgement.

With all new lights I give them at least a couple of days to figure them out. I read up on posts on CPF, look at videos to get more information. Try to figure out if it's me doing something wrong, or the batteries I'm using, or truly a manufacturer defect.

I think it sounds like you definitely rushed on this, and what a waste of shipping dollars and time on your part and 4sevens. :(

I certianly respect your opinion and knowledge about lights.

The replies I've received here are very informative indeed, and each reply is correct IMHO. I was never concerned about the seller at all; obviously that's because it's 4 Sevens. I spoke to Trevor today he was great with his concern nad freely offered an RMA number.
Based on what I've read here again, and again I decided to "keep at it" and .....PRESTO the magic ramping began!!!!!!!:party:.

THANKS TO ALL. I must admit that I expected the ramping to be like that new $300 Surefire LED with the twistable bezel to set levels.:oops:
The bezel is a bit stiff, but then again it HAS to be that way.

This light on a primary CR123, is noticably brigher than my Novatac 120P.
It shows a bit of a diff between 190 lumens and 120 lumens.

and best of all, even though it was ME, combined with a little different method of operation than I expected, that caused the confusion, I get to tell the folks at $ Sevens THANKS! but the Extreme will stay on my belt in a AW Novatac inspired holster. WONDERFUL!!! I've been saving a spare for such an a special occasion.

My EDC LED world continues to ROCK!!
The Incendio will take a rest for a while. It was shouldering the duty while my 120P was repaired (it DID have a glitch) I now proudly sport that Extreme, and CR123 powered 5mw GREEN laser. The Nitecore Extreme throws enough that I can clearly see a roofline, at even 30feet elevation.

THANKS AGAIN TO 4 Sevens and for the helpful replies here!

Last edited:

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Great! Glad it worked out for you in the end :grin2:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic. Glad you got it working.

When I got my NDI was totally mystified. I had read every instruction several times, and couldn't quite "get it". Then I saw WadeF's video on how to ramp it, and got it right away.

Sometimes it takes a while to "get it" with a new light. Glad you "got it" with this light!

Enjoy!! :)

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Congrats! Just got mine yesterday too (SS crenelated bezel). I actually read the booklet first (my wife would be so proud, if she knew about the purchase). I realized that the loosening of the bezel can be like maybe 1/10th of a turn, maybe less, away from fully seated. Once I got that, everything worked as described.

One idiosyncracy I noticed was the first time I tighten the bezel back all the way from user-defined mode and turn the light on, it takes a second to switch from my user-set low to max (or strobe). Once off and back on again the tightened bezel setting happens immediately. I repeated this "first time" issue several times. No worries though, I can live with it. Great little light that has temporarily bumped my also new E1B from right front pocket of dockers for EDC....Jeff

P.S. I read thread on epoxy solution to removing light from thick pockets because of clip placement near widening of shaft. I find though if I just use the tip of my index finger to apply upward pressure on the clip it helps scoot the light right out. One thing is for sure, this sucker is not falling out of the pocket accidentally.

Enjoy your new light!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
After an LF2, the NDI was easier for me than blinking. :) ...Well, not quite that easy, but I picked it up right away without the directions. It didn't even come with any spreadsheets! :)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
After an LF2, the NDI was easier for me than blinking. :) ...Well, not quite that easy, but I picked it up right away without the directions. It didn't even come with any spreadsheets! :)

That's why I didn't get the LF2, I knew since I've struggled with my 120P those intricate setting commands are a little past my current capability.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to hear it all worked out. I do agree that the more complex the UI, usually, the less likely Mr Joe Average is going to be able to just pick it up and make it be useful. I think the NDI and Extreme are a good comprimise between Liteflux complex and SF 6P simple.

By the way, clean off the threads and apply some nice lube (like nyogel) and the action will loosen up a bit.