LED bub for refrigerator???

moraino

Enlightened
I've just got a new refrigerator today. The two bulbs inside were on for quite a long time while transferring food from old to new. I could feel the heat whenever my hands passing by them. I was wondering if any flasholics here has LED bulb in theirs?

I know those incan bulb only have a short burst for the most of time you open the frige. But if there is any LED version with fairly worm color and good price, I want to get one.

I will be searching the websites today or tomorrow for what's available now. Please post it here if you encounter one. Thanks.

ambientmind

Enlightened
there are many led replacement bulbs in almost any configurations but....you usually pay through the nose for them. also, most are more of a spotlight rather than the flood you get from an incan. a lot of the "green" sites have these, or just do a google search. fyi, if you want to try some cheaper ones out, DX has quite a selection of them. I've had good luck with some of their cree lights but again its just a spot light.

Illum

Flashaholic
I would give Darell [yes, the EV nut who also happens to be an administrator] a PM, he retrofitted his refrigerator with LEDs.:grin2:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Probably cost more time and effort and money than it is worth unless you watch tv with the fridge open.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
I've been in my apartment for over 20 years, and the original bulb is still working in the refrigerator. It is just not worth the $15+ of an LED bulb.
Probably cost more time and effort and money than it is worth unless you watch tv with the fridge open.

If you really want one these are available in warm white.
http://eliteled.com/products/lightbulbs/e26baselightbulb.html
I'm using them as nitelites. They last much longer (3+ years 24/7 and still going) than normal LED nitelites (~6 months max for the 5mm LED variety) and much brighter. When I need more light I turn on the 23W CFL in the globe to the right.
Kitchenlight640.jpg

Note the ccrane bulb linked to by Timothybil is of the 5mm variety. It is also probably too big for most fridge bulb compartments.

moraino

Enlightened
+1
I've been in my apartment for over 20 years, and the original bulb is still working in the refrigerator. It is just not worth the $15+ of an LED bulb.

If you really want one these are available in warm white.
http://eliteled.com/products/lightbulbs/e26baselightbulb.html
Most of AC LED are too fat if not too long to be in the refrigerator. The one you mentioned above is probabely the only one that will fit at the moment. For $15 may be a bit too steep. I am sure the price will drop as I see more of them coming up to surface. I am a patient guy learnt thru CPF all these years.

Another way is to made one myself as I recall seeing some AC circuit available on the net. Just need time to find them and fabricate them. Time is shorter when you get older....:green:

Thanks all for the inputs and sharings. Please continue if new products are spotted. The Internet is such a wild place to be. Thinking at the time when my first punny Luxeon I bulb costs me $32 a pop plus another $32 for custom brokerage fee to get it to Canada. Now no need to customize your own flashlights any more as most state of the art flashights can be had for good price and fulfill most of flasholics hearts desire...

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the base configuration, but check this out. I just did a Google on 'led light bulb'.

http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/cc-vivid-plus-led-light-bulb.aspx
I bought 2 of the CCrane spotlights LED bulbs for use in my curio lighting fixture last year and they are great. I didn't want anything too bright and in the past I used 15 watt mini floods but they would burn out every 4 to 6 months.

These LED bulbs are expensive as hell. I paid $49 ea. at the time and they are now down to $29 and they give off the equivalent of a 30 watt bulb and draw about 2 watts or less. I plan to buy more and larger lights as the price comes down.

These CCrane are actually well built...its a thick solid glass spot flood lamp that has the look and feel of a tungsten or halogen mini spot light for exterior use.

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
Assuming the refrigerator uses a standard (I believe its called 'medium base') bulb, perhaps you could buy one of those socket adapters that screws in and provides a two-prong outlet.

Then get an undercabinet LED strip light like the Sylvania's in this PDF (sorry, I don't have a direct link), stick it to the inside top of the fridge, and plug it in.

You might need to use some cable ties or other means of holding the cord up and clear, but you could 'daisy chain' the LED strips (at least the Sylvanias) to mount them front and back, or wherever would be most useful.

Unless of course there's an issue with a 120V line running inside the refrigerator interior...