YOLight™ LEDs from Yoldal

lightnix

Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience of these ? They claim to be brighter and cheaper than Nichia.

Yoldal website

They also have a multi colour LED with what looks like a built in chip that runs a pre-programmed sequence when hooked up to a battery.

Any thoughts / comments ?

OddOne

Enlightened
I have a few samples of the Yoldal YOLight YZ-WB5S20Y, and a writeup for O.W.L.I. will be forthcoming.

oO

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: YOLight? LEDs from Yoldal

We have both the KingBright and Yoldol White in the 20 LED adapter for the 3D flashlight, they look about the same - I will try and measure them with the lightmeter when I get a chance

White_LED

Newly Enlightened

I distribute Yoldal's and have tested them in many applications, the only time I have had a problem with the color or rings is if I try to over drive them with too much voltage or current.

They naturally have the blue tinge color(Ice Blue) to them, just like the other brands have a tinge of yellow.

Personally I would rather have the Ice Blue color, than yellow.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer nichia's led a lot than yoldal. Yoldal was dimmer (not by much) and has a more prominent rings than nichia's.

OddOne

Enlightened

I've noticed the blue-ring effect as well, with them slightly underdriven as well as at full rated power. Brightness looks to be comparable to a S-rank Nichia (in the same mcd range, anyway), but beam quality's definitely not as good. I'm guessing that Yoldal's manufacturing process for these doesn't accurately control how even the phosphor-layer thickness is across the entire die and die cup, and thus you end up with thin spots around the die that let more blue get through. (Nichia, OTOH, spent a LOT of $ and time on this specific aspect of mfg. white LEDs, as their smooth beam shows.)

On the upside, these should be great for arrays as multiple LEDs all on-axis will blend the bright spots out and make the overall beam smoother. Not to mention the fact that you could build a large (24+ LEDs) array for about 60% of the cost of the Nichias.

But, for single LED applications, or arrays with only a few LEDs, one would be better off with S-rank Nichias.

I can see where the Yoldals would have their place in the LED building/modding community. They still have some work ahead of them to take on Nichia.

oO