What's better than an E1L, in same class?

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys - I have been away from here a long time. Wow, this forum keeps getting better, it's amazing how it's grown since I last visited.

I started researching small LED lights for friend who liked my E1L, and it got me to wondering what I have been missing here.

So, I'll start by getting up to date on my favorite flashlight (since I lost my excellent old Arc LSH) the Surefire E1L. Is there anything new that "out E1Ls" an E1l? Is there something that does basically what the E1L does, but does any one thing much better? A little smaller, a little brighter, a lot cheaper, etc.?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the E1B which is brighter. Do you have the 1 stage E1L with a Cree? (There's a new 2 stage Cree if you didn't know). Otherwise the E1L is quite lonesome in that class as far as I know.

Last edited:

zven

Enlightened
Like defloyd77, I wonder what generation E1L you have. Is it one of the older ones (Luxeon emitter, 20ish lumens, squarish beam), or one of the newer ones (Cree emitter, 45 lumens max, nice round beam)?

Well, either way, there are numerous options. The E1B is indeed one option, with a much brighter high mode, and lots of runtime on its low mode. Although a little longer, I personally favor the L1, which has the same beam pattern as the E1B and newer E1L, but rather than a clicky tailcap and interface, it has a two-stage momentary/twisty tailcap (I prefer this because pressing/twisting to your desired level of brightness seems more intuitive than clicking through to it, as in the E1B/E1L).

That's about it for SureFire lights, but you've also got LOTS of non-SureFire options. If you need something as good as or better than the SureFire in terms of reliability, durability, warranty, etc., then I would just stick to choosing between the E1L, E1B and L1. However, if you want a light that is "better" in terms of other things like brightness, different modes/levels of light, size, etc., then there are a few I can suggest.

The NiteCore D10 (or EX-10, for that matter, if you prefer CR123 batteries) will give you a light almost as bright as the E1B/L1 on its highest level, but will give you a lower low, and lets you choose any level of light in between. It also lets you operate it as a momentary twisty, or as a clicky, as you prefer. Take a gander around the boards here, and you should find lots of information.

Other alternatives (that I don't have personal experience with) would be the Fenix P2D, Lumapower Incendio, Novatac 120... I know there are others, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

In the end, my top recommendations would be the D10 for its superior flexibility in operation/brightness over the competition, and the L1 and E1B for their great durability, reliability and performance, even though they may be a bit bigger than their competition. (I should also note that if I had to pick one and only one light to live with for the rest of time, it'd very likely be the L1.)

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest looking into the NovaTac 120's & 85's (Lighthound had 85's for under $100, last I knew).

I have the P version & the EDC versions and have to tell you (at least for me) the EDC is the way to go. The EDC gives you 10, 42, 85 (or 120, depends on model) lmns., and "strobe" for your 4 "pre-set" settings. I find these work GREAT for me.

The thing I really like better about them, over the SF TIR E & L series, is that they have a VERY useful "spill", unlike the SF TIR's, narrow, "non-spill" beams, and the NovaTac's can use rechargables (the SF's can't), if you want.

Hope this helps.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

phosphor

Enlightened
I would suggest looking into the NovaTac 120's & 85's (Lighthound had 85's for under $100, last I knew).

I have the P version & the EDC versions and have to tell you (at least for me) the EDC is the way to go. The EDC gives you 10, 42, 85 (or 120, depends on model) lmns., and "strobe" for your 4 "pre-set" settings. I find these work GREAT for me.

The thing I really like better about them, over the SF TIR E & L series, is that they have a VERY useful "spill", unlike the SF TIR's, narrow, "non-spill" beams, and the NovaTac's can use rechargables (the SF's can't), if you want.

Hope this helps.

My .02 FWIW YMMV
I too prefer the NovaTac beam to the Surefire TIR E series. I find it much more useful in the real world. I am also very fond of the Amilite T5........again, I prefer it's beam characteristics to the Surefire E series. I'm not saying I think the NovaTac or Amilite are better lights, I just personally would rather have a NovaTac or Amilite than a Surefire E series. Others obviously have different preferences.

- regards

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I didn't even realize the E1L had changed much since I bought this one.

Mine is an E1L Outdoorsman with a tiny number that looks to my old eyes like A62657 - definitely a square beam Luxeon, but very white, probably about 4 years old. Like I said, my prior edc for work was an Arc LSH, purchased before Arc went belly up.

The beam is pretty tight, but with enough spill for me. I use it daily, inspecting buildings. I only need to see details, not real large areas at once. If I know I'm going into places where I need to light up a large, dark area, I take along my U2, which is also a few years old.

I am not a real regular here, but I do drop in anytime I want to find out what's really happening with flashlights. I appreciate the replies - sorry it took me so long to get back to this topic. I'm going to research everything recommended here, right now. It's amazing how much things have changed in torches in the last few years.

(Having looked at some of the suggestions - it's even more amazing. Choosing between the alternatives is daunting. I might just have to buy one of each.)

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with the previous versions but the 2008 E1L with a CREE LED and two levels (3/45 lumens) is really difficult to beat. :grin2:

cimg1353asp1.jpg

:wave:

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
I had the previous E1L with the square beam, KL1 head for a number of years until I got the newest E1L with the dual levels. It might not be the brightest light around but it is definitely one of my favorites.

As per norm. I'm always looking for better so I have lately been contemplating getting my E1L modded by milkyspit into a creemator.

superflytnt

Enlightened
Like defloyd77, I wonder what generation E1L you have. Is it one of the older ones (Luxeon emitter, 20ish lumens, squarish beam), or one of the newer ones (Cree emitter, 45 lumens max, nice round beam)?

Well, either way, there are numerous options. The E1B is indeed one option, with a much brighter high mode, and lots of runtime on its low mode. Although a little longer, I personally favor the L1, which has the same beam pattern as the E1B and newer E1L, but rather than a clicky tailcap and interface, it has a two-stage momentary/twisty tailcap (I prefer this because pressing/twisting to your desired level of brightness seems more intuitive than clicking through to it, as in the E1B/E1L).

That's about it for SureFire lights, but you've also got LOTS of non-SureFire options. If you need something as good as or better than the SureFire in terms of reliability, durability, warranty, etc., then I would just stick to choosing between the E1L, E1B and L1. However, if you want a light that is "better" in terms of other things like brightness, different modes/levels of light, size, etc., then there are a few I can suggest.

The NiteCore D10 (or EX-10, for that matter, if you prefer CR123 batteries) will give you a light almost as bright as the E1B/L1 on its highest level, but will give you a lower low, and lets you choose any level of light in between. It also lets you operate it as a momentary twisty, or as a clicky, as you prefer. Take a gander around the boards here, and you should find lots of information.

Other alternatives (that I don't have personal experience with) would be the Fenix P2D, Lumapower Incendio, Novatac 120... I know there are others, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

In the end, my top recommendations would be the D10 for its superior flexibility in operation/brightness over the competition, and the L1 and E1B for their great durability, reliability and performance, even though they may be a bit bigger than their competition. (I should also note that if I had to pick one and only one light to live with for the rest of time, it'd very likely be the L1.)

+1 on the Nitecore D10. The OP mentioned less expensive so I think that he would be really happy with the D10, I know that I love mine.

On max it is brighter than my E1B (doesn't throw quite as far tho) and still gets over an hour on a rechargeable cell. The great think about this light (other than it's switch) is just how easy it is to change levels. This light will go from around 1 lumen (and over 100 hours runtime) all the way up to around 120 lumens and it's as easy as pushing and holding the switch. Push once to turn on, push again to turn off. While on, push and hold to ramp one direction and then release and another push/hold to ramp the other direction.

The beam has much more spill than the SF TIR lights but doesn't throw quite as far as the brighter ones (it'll still stomp your E1L). Overall a great beam for an EDC light and it's smaller than the E1L to boot.

Almost forgot, it'll take alkaline (not much runtime on high, fine on low-med), NiMH rechargeables, lithium primaries and 14500 LiIon rechargeables and will run just fine on the last three with alkalines being useful in an emergency and it's under $60 when the new E1L is now $129..............

Last edited:

crocodilo

Enlightened
Although my L1 Cree is a great thrower, much above what would be expected from a flashlight rated 65 lumens, my EX10 (120 lumens) not only outshines it with a large spill, but also undoubdtly outthrows it.

The UI's are quite different (I still prefer the L1's simplicity), but the flexibility of the EX10 is nothing short of amazing. As others have said, being able to run it with protected rechargeables is most welcome for an EDC do-all pocket light. Brightness/runtime ratios are also great, as well as tint and beam "cleansiness" (the L1 has some noticeable rings when used indoors).

So, for general use, I consider the EX10 a better performer. Bonus points for smaller size and price, and an advanced switching system that's supposed to be highly reliable.

For mainly outdoors use, speed of handling/use and perhaps some peace of mind concerning Surefire's robustness, I'd choose the L1.

Latest posts