Lightwave Tec-2000 or Long Runtime Lights

Confederate

Enlightened
I've seen this light on sale for twenty bucks. It's very ugly, but it has an advertised runtime of 300 hours for three AA batteries. It has four LEDs in the head, and despite its older technology, I wondered if it was any good. It originally sold for forty bucks and what attracted me was its long runtime.

What other lights out there are good quality with very long runtimes? I'm more interested in using it to read when the power's out or just around the house stuff. My Q5 P3D advertises 65 hours on low setting. I'm looking for something that will beat that by a wide margin. Again, brightness isn't the main concern.

Any suggestions?

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how many lumens it puts out at 300 hours because technically the novatac 120p can be programmed to run for 300 hours too off a single cr123a battery.

Obviously it's brighter with the capacity of 3 AA batteries but I wonder what the brightness is if you had say, 150 hours on the novatac.

Confederate

Enlightened
They advertise 7.2, which must be a "last gasp" sort of a thing. I've got a 4-LED, 2-D light that I've been using for the past 2-3 years with the same batteries. It's dim, but easy for me to get around the house with. It doesn't seem to be on its last leg yet.

Everything's regulated today so that lights stay at a certain brightness. That's good in a way, but I'd also like lights that can suck a battery dry. In an emergency situation, it would have its advantages.

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
The novatac's can suck a battery down pretty far, beyond the point where the discharge protection on a rechargeable 123A can kick in.

The HDS EDC B42 that I just sold can suck a battery down even further than that.

Most regulated lights nowadays are regulated to a certain point and then they drop out of regulation and run direct off the battery to suck it dry.

eav2k

Newly Enlightened
I took the red led out of an astronomy flashlight that used two AA cells, and moved it to a two D cell light, with two 8000 mah cells it ran continuously for 24 days before it started to dim. That is 576 hours.

alibaba

Enlightened
I've seen this light on sale for twenty bucks. It's very ugly, but it has an advertised runtime of 300 hours for three AA batteries. It has four LEDs in the head, and despite its older technology, I wondered if it was any good. It originally sold for forty bucks and what attracted me was its long runtime.

What other lights out there are good quality with very long runtimes? I'm more interested in using it to read when the power's out or just around the house stuff. My Q5 P3D advertises 65 hours on low setting. I'm looking for something that will beat that by a wide margin. Again, brightness isn't the main concern.
Any suggestions?

The Lightwave 2000 was one of the very earliest LED torches out there. I don't think I'd pay $20 for one but they are useful. As for the 300 hour runtime, I've never actually tested one but it ain't gonna happen. They have larger C and D cell models that might acheive those runtimes tho. That's about what it takes for useful output for many hundreds of hours is C-D cell sized lights. Some adjustable torches (someone mention'd HDS's) can go quite low and get over 100 hours but at such a dim level it really isn't useful for much more than a few feet, still enough for a single person to see what's in front of them. If I were you I'd skip the LW 2000 and either buy a bigger, C/D emergency light, buy a smaller light that can go really low or just keep a few sets of batteries around for your Fenix (4 x 65 = 260), they have a 10 year shelf life and online are around a buck apiece so for $10 you can have 5 spare sets for your P3D.

Confederate

Enlightened
...still enough for a single person to see what's in front of them.
What if one is married...same thing? :whistle:

If I were you I'd skip the LW 2000 and either buy a bigger, C/D emergency light, buy a smaller light that can go really low or just keep a few sets of batteries around for your Fenix (4 x 65 = 260), they have a 10 year shelf life and online are around a buck apiece so for $10 you can have 5 spare sets for your P3D.
Sounds like a great idea. You know, I still have a brand new Brinkman LED Rebel, which takes two D-cells. I have one I've used for the last two years and it hasn't required a battery change. It also has two filters, a blue and a red. I'm also going to buy a cache of batteries for my Fenix as you suggest.

Thanks, too, for the other comments. I won't bother wit the Tec-2000. I think Target still has some D-cell flashlights available. I'll also try there.