Windows XP help - can't access protected folder

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have friend's viruses infected hard drive hooked up to my XP system as a slave. Am trying to back up his user accounts My documents folders before I reformat the hard drive. He has five users and I'm able to access and copy all of them except one. On that one, whenever I click on it, it says access denied. How can I get around this? I wonder why that one exhibits that property and not the other four?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried accessing it via ms-dos? or maybe try running your computer in protected mode and see if you can access it.

AlexGT

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you need to do is go to the security for the folder and take ownership of it. Next set the access rights that you need on the folder.

You should be logged in under Administrator or someone with equal rights to do this or you may not even see the access rights (security) tab in the properties.

cdosrun

Enlightened
You may also like to consider using a bootable Linux live system such as Knoppix or Gentoo Live-CD (there are many others), you can access the hard disk and copy the files off to an external drive or DVD burner etc without the risk of the virus interrupting the copy process.

Andrew

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to get that virus infested pc to run long enough to transfer the folder over my home network to my pc. Still strange as to why when I slaved the drive to my pc, all other my document folders were accessible except that one.

BobVA

Enlightened
What you need to do is go to the security for the folder and take ownership of it. Next set the access rights that you need on the folder.

You should be logged in under Administrator or someone with equal rights to do this or you may not even see the access rights (security) tab in the properties.

+1 for that - here's some more detail:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

The only other issue would be if the folder was encrypted on the host machine and it wasn't properly exported.

Good luck!