SF U2 Issue: Does anybody have an easy fix

Carpenter

Enlightened
Preface: I know I can send this to SF for repair

I just acquired a U2 (actually several). While most of them work perfectly, I have one where there is something amiss in the selector ring inner working where I only get 5 of the modes. There is an area in the middle while turning the ring where the next level (up or down) is completely missing and turning it a little more actually moves it 2 levels.

Is there an easy fix (no tools or boiling required) that anyone has to fix this before I call SF and to get the RMA started?

Thanks all.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The selector ring is fairly reliable and relatively simple if there is a problem then you should just call Surefire instead of voiding the warranty to try and fix it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What Tebore said. The selector ring simply houses a magnet, and if that's not working properly then the problem is internal.

alibaba

Enlightened
What Tebore said. The selector ring simply houses a magnet, and if that's not working properly then the problem is internal.

I don't own one but I remember reading something about the detents (right word?) that hold the ring at a setting are plastic and not all that sturdy. IIRC, the ring/magnet switch still works if they break but just doesn't "lock" into place anymore. If the OP can't access a setting it sounds a bit more serious........................time for a call to SF

frank777

Enlightened
I sent my Surefire U2 (that I'd purchased secondhand) back to Surefire, with no purchase documentation, receipts, or anything. Surefire DID fix it for free, although they took over two months!

If you try messing with this thing yourself, you might void the lifetime warranty. BTW, if any vendor anytime asks about where YOU purchased your product, you can always say it was a gift and you don't know :)

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yours is a very welcome difference in attitude from the one shown by another member in this thread.

No kidding:ohgeez::shakehead

Some people just have completely rediculous expectations....and a REALLY bad outlook:sick2:

Call Surefire, they will make things right. Their customer service is great:twothumbs

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned SF's for over 13 years (first 6P's & a 9P bought in 1995, and I have well over 20 total SF's now). I have only needed their C.S. twice, but can tell you they were LESS then helpful (when I made return calls they had NO record of my first call, etc.) and required MULTIPLE calls to get any results from them (which took forever, it seemed).

I continue to buy them anyway, as very few of my lights from them have failed and I am a HUGE fan of their P & G series. BUT that has NOTHING to do with their C.S., which (to me) is in serious need of overhaul.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
SF isn't the fastest company when responding to warranty issues, but they are among the easiest to work with. Have a clickie switch (or two) go out - a phone call is all it takes to get free replacements, and the defective parts don't have to be returned. There are few companies I'd rather deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to hear that it worked so well for you. I've been dealing with them since April on an issue and after talking to them about 2 weeks ago they said they had NO record of any privious calls from me about this, so I guess I MAY get it resolved in Oct. sometime, MAYBE (I'm not holding my breath).

I understand that sometimes "things happen", but the other time I had an issue to deal with them about, it also took MANY months to resolve and from what I hear, and read from others, this seems to be the norm, not the unusual with them.

My .02 FWIW

greenLED

Flashaholic
BTW, Carpenter, calling them is the surest, fastest way of getting service. Be advised turnaround takes a few weeks, but they'll take care of your problem, no questions asked.