PayPal and problem customer help

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make custom display cabinets that I sell and receive payment through PayPal. Because these are custom made to the buyers measurements, there are no refunds.

Well, A customer orders a few and after he got them he said these were not what he wanted. I looked back through the email chain and found where I clearly described what the buyer was getting.

I half believe this customer is attempting a free lunch move on me. After hundreds of custom work, I never had this issue. If the buyer starts a claim, what can I do to stop the money from being taken from me.

Thanks for any feedback.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I looked back through the email chain and found where I clearly described what the buyer was getting.
He paid for a product, he received a product. Furthermore, according to your documentation, he agreed to the product you described, and the terms of the sale. I don't see how that would be basis for a PayPal claim. Am I missing something?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a hefty amount of money maybe move the money to another account which paypal does not have access.

If they decide to do collection agency they will first have to prove you did not keep your promise and you have documentation that you did.

AlexGT

greenLED

Flashaholic
Not if it's already in a non-PayPal account. I filed a legitimate dispute and although PayPal resolved in my favor I only got a few cents back because that's how much was left in the other guy's PP account.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are talking $485. I'm trying to negotiate with the guy. I don't know, but I think he will file a claim.

If I move the money, won't PP go for my registered CC?

I need the account to run my business,

watt4

Enlightened
do you have any documentation that the product was delivered? you might need it.

consider offering a refund if he ships it back to you.

Glen C

Enlightened
John, GreenLED has given great advice, I would remove the money from the PP account and remove the credit card from the paypal account. In Aus it would be illegal to charge the CC after removal, not sure about the US. A few thousand people have just found out Paypal offers little protection, the 7th largest Ebay trader here went bust, was selling over $1million a month, Paypal has to set up a fund to stop the bad publicity

I would seriously consider going to credit card at those price points, Paypal generally does not have much of a dispute resolution process, just take the money from the vendors account. There was case on here where the seller had proof of delivery but Paypal just gave the money back. At least CC companies have genuine complaints sections who assess both sides of the story and genuinely protect both parties, they will listen to your side and they will refund to the buyer even if you go broke.

Lane

Newly Enlightened
I make custom display cabinets that I sell and receive payment through PayPal. Because these are custom made to the buyers measurements, there are no refunds.

That sounds like a "buyer beware" situation to me. If you described your product and you are selling them "as is" with no warranties or refunds the burden is on him to prove you didn't live up to your end of the bargain in some way.

For credibility purposes if there is any chance you could be in the wrong, offer him a refund minus shipping if he returns it in good condition...:thumbsup:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not if it's already in a non-PayPal account. I filed a legitimate dispute and although PayPal resolved in my favor I only got a few cents back because that's how much was left in the other guy's PP account.

yeah i would yank it, empty the acct. even if a cc is linked i dont think paypal can charge your cc without your consent.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I would:

1. empty and close the bank acc't
2. ask the CC company for a new card. tell them the old card was damaged. the new card will have a new #.
3. close my PP acc't

Norm

Retired Administrator
If you just ask for a new card because the old one was damaged, it will not have a new number.
Norm

Eric_M

Enlightened
Mine have always had new numbers when replaced due to damage.

Replacements for cards that have expired have had the same numbers though.

If you just ask for a new card because the old one was damaged, it will not have a new number.
Norm

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good news is I think we have it sorted out and he has offered to pay half for the fix. I'm glad I kept a cool head for blowing up would have lost at least some of the money for sure and now I get more.

I hope it works out.