So how tough is the EX10/D10 really?

bwcaw

Enlightened
I have been reading plenty of threads regarding how tough the D10 and EX10 seem to be due to the high grade aluminum that they are manufactured of. I recently got a D10 and im impressed so far, however i haven't had any mishaps that would test the toughness of the light up to this point. I was looking for the perfect small edc light and i think i found it in the D10 (except for the lack of a supplied clip) but one factor that is all important in a light that will be carried every day is durability and toughness. So, lets hear your "i dropped it off a skyscraper and it still works!" stories if you have them. Pictures of abused lights are always popular as well. What can these little lights take?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped my EX10 from about 4 feet and it landed on the bezel at about a 45 degree angle. After the fall the switching ring seemed to stick. It still came on but ramping wasn't working. 4sevens and his staff are taking care of me by repairing it and replacing the bezel :thumbsup:. I was a little disappointed that a seemingly routine fall would cause such a problem. An EDC light should have no problems with simple falls so I suppose it must have impacted at just the right angle to cause problems. It is a good light and hopefully it will now have no more problems.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Someone recently sold a D10 that had a similarly short drop (in a garage) and the bezel was dented. Not exactly "tough". High-grade aluminum is fine but if it's thin it's still gonna dent easily.

I tend to baby my lights so my D10 is still immaculate!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped mine multiple times from 5-6 feet, more than I've dropped any other light, and my D10 still works fine. Minor cosmetic scratches.

With regards to the comment about the dented bezel, the area near the tip of the bezel out the front is thin, so it will dent if dropped right on that area. I have a cosmetic dent in that area but it's not deformed.

I wouldn't call a cosmetic deformation of a very thin metal area "not tough". It still works and that's what matters.

This is the smallest AA light I know of, and yet it is very tough despite the small size. :thumbsup:

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why the D10 doesn't share the SS bezel with the EX10.

Has anyone asked or seen it mentioned?

Kev.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 and EX10 use the same reflector, but the EX10 has a wider body to accomodate the CR123, so the SS bezel fills in the gap between the body tube and the reflector. The D10 has no gap to fill in.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Someone recently sold a D10 that had a similarly short drop (in a garage) and the bezel was dented. Not exactly "tough". High-grade aluminum is fine but if it's thin it's still gonna dent easily.

Hah, yep, that's the D10 I own now...

It works fine, but I really don't like the torch overall...

I may dedicate the D10 to the science of toughness, since I have a really fantastic EDC to replace it with..... a Orb Raw Al, with a K2 UXOL emitter on the the very warm side of tint, great balance between spill and throw, and 10 hour runtime on the "not so low" low setting. ..

So.. Hang on for some toughness tests of the D10 such as but not limited to:
Hot-tub submersion (4ft depth)
Ocean whitewash dunk
Long distance throws into fields
Shower (high water-pressure blast)
Fridge/freezer test
Drop test onto various surfaces from various height
etc.

I'm pretty sure 7777 isn't going to take this one back when I'm finished with it..:naughty:

I hope it survives, because it's my only AA torch at the moment.
So, think good thoughts. This little D10 is going to take a few for the team.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Dropped my D10 from about 4 feet onto concrete once, not a scratch, no impact in performance.

Also dropped it into some muddy/clay type soil in my backyard firepit yesterday. Got really dirty. Washed it under the tap, while clicking it on and off. No issues.

Not a complaint about this light yet, but I was one of the lucky ones -- mine worked perfectly right out of the box, even with the bluish lube (which I still cleaned off anyway).

alibaba

Enlightened

I may dedicate the D10 to the science of toughness, since I have a really fantastic EDC to replace it with..... a Orb Raw Al, with a K2 UXOL emitter on the the very warm side of tint, great balance between spill and throw, and 10 hour runtime on the "not so low" low setting. ..

Ocean whitewash dunk
Fridge/freezer test
etc.

I'm pretty sure 7777 isn't going to take this one back when I'm finished with it..:naughty:

Sorry you don't like it but bless you man! I can't wait for the results/pics.....:popcorn:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ocean whitewash dunk
Fridge/freezer test
etc.

Would love to see how it fares with the torture tests. :wave:

pipspeak

Enlightened

Look forward to the torture test. You might want to add a five-storey drop onto concrete to really test it :devil:

Last edited:

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
Look forward to the torture test. You might want to add a five-storey drop onto concrete to really test it :devil:
Whoa! Might want to start with less extreme torture tests first, after all, this isn't a Ra Twisty.

Russki

Enlightened
Tough like this?
TwistyPummeled.jpg

Noooo.
:devil:

Metatron

Banned
i dont get it. why on earth would u want to abuse equipment. its a torch, not an ice pick or anything else u can conjure up. i read someone used a SF to free his car wheel from ice? i truly believe that even fools have a god:thinking:

Russki

Enlightened
i dont get it. why on earth would u want to abuse equipment. its a torch, not an ice pick or anything else u can conjure up. i read someone used a SF to free his car wheel from ice? i truly believe that even fools have a god:thinking:

You know, some car manufacturers test their car safety, by smashing them in to the wall.
I also wonder: why they do this?
:confused: