Princeton Tec Amp flashlights

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec has made three new flashlights: the Amp 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0. The 3.0 uses 4 5mm l.e.d.s and 4 AAAs. The 4.0 has a Luxeon Rebel l.e.d. and uses 4AAs. The 5.0 has a Rebel l.e.d. and 3 5mm l.e.d.s and uses 4AAs. All three lights claim to be waterproof to 1 meter and all are regulated. $25 for the 3.0, $35 for the 4.0, and $46 for the 5.0. All three have high and low settings. They are available at REI.com. These should be an interesting addition to the market and seem reasonably priced for high end lights. All three have lanyard holes. The 5.0 has a clip.
Amp 3.0

Amp 4.0

Amp 5.0

By the way, REI is apparently now selling Surefire flashlights as well.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Look interesting but I'm still disapponted about the continued misinformation about run-times and output, like these:

"blasts a bright white beam up to 279 ft. (85m) on high."

"4 AA batteries (included) provide up to 150 hrs. of burn time on high and 160 hrs. on low"

At least we know the emitter... rebel (tho no idea if it's an 80 or 100)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean about runtime. I would prefer to know how long a light is regulated instead of how long it takes to go from full power to just glowing l.e.d.s. Rebel l.e.d.s should have good throw since they are a very small light source in a decent sized reflector. I hope heatsinking is decent as well since these lights are plastic. Princeton Tec is known for decent current based regulation (Full regulation followed by slow dimming). You're not left in the dark or surprised when the batteries go dead in a Quad or Eos headlight. There's plenty of warning as well as full output for a decent time. I hope these lights have the good regulation that made their headlights great.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost ordered one of these today. I wish it was dive rated.... and I would like to see a runtime graph on High with Lithium AA's, but at least the light shows potential. Brightguy quotes 60L for the 5.0 on high... not great... but it should not run too hot either.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to go terrorize my local REI soon and take a look. I wonder if they have nice 5mm LEDs or some angry blue guys in there.

I agree about the odd runtime claims. Though with 4AAs it is easily possible to have a regulated output for 150 hours.

Woodrow, I also agree with you that it would be much more exciting if it were significantly more waterproof or even dive rated.

At least they've finaly made a step in the proper direction for thier LED products.

edit: Just read brightguy's description and its Nichia DS LEDs. Hope they aren't being terribly overdriven.

Last edited:

bob4apple

Enlightened
If you click on "SPECS" on the linked page for the 4.0 it says:

Maximum beam distance- 246 feet
Beam type- Flood :whistle:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to REI in San Diego today and they had 3.0 and 5.0 versions. The Amp 3.0 said it was 40 lumens. That's 10 lumens per l.e.d. Must be Nichia GS l.e.d.s (about twice as bright as their 21 lumen quad headlight which has 75 lumen/watt Nichia CS l.e.d.s). The Amp 5.0 claimed 65 lumens for the Rebel l.e.d. The 3.0 sounds better for backpacking in everything but color rendition (lighter, more efficient, more compact, cheaper). I wish they would state runtime in regulation.

5kids

Newly Enlightened
REI notes that these lights are imported. I love my PT APEX and really like the fact that it was made in the USA. Not sure how many of PT's lights are imported these days. BTW, PT's website sucks! There's more information about their current product everywhere except their official site.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you click on "SPECS" on the linked page for the 4.0 it says:

Maximum beam distance- 246 feet
Beam type- Flood :whistle:
Sure the beam goes that far. If you define the end of the beam as being the distance at which it's decreased to the brightness of starlight, a 2AA LED Mini-Mag has a "beam distance" of about 2-1/2 miles.

What? They didn't say how dim the beam is at 246 feet? What a surprise!

c_c