Should I get the Surefire E1B if I already have a novatac 120P?

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
I just got a E2DL and I love the way the beam throws out of that thing and the simplicity of the switch. I was thinking of getting an E1B to replace my novatac 120P for my EDC.

The main points are a) I like the feel of the switch a little better, b) its a simplier interface, c) the finish is knurlier (not a word), and d) it seems to squeeze more light out of the light.

I know on the novatac, it looks like it'll try to drain the battery as long as possible then steps down 50% for a while then another 50%, etc whereas with the surefire, it seems like it'll stay at max the whole time until it can't hold it any longer then drop into moonlight mode. This to me seems to make a bit more sense since it always seems like my novatac stays at max brightness for about 30-45 minutes then I get a "lesser" light with still about 30-40% capacity left in the batteries whereas the surefire can hold it all the way to the end.

Am I wrong on this? Better off just staying with the novatac?

pipspeak

Enlightened
It probably depends on what you plan to use the light for. The Novatac is a floodier beam, which is more useful indoors IMO, and the UI is as simple as you want it to be. The Surefire has much less spill but throws further. For a 1-cell EDC light I prefer the novatac. the E2DL will cover your "throw" tasks.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure. Why not. They are very different flashlights. Both are really good. the E1B will give you a very tight bright beam, while the Novatac has a wider beam.
Anyway I say go for it. If you don't like it sell it on the marketplace. For that matter go on over to the market place and buy the E1B, you might save a few bucks.
Yaesumofo

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the E1-B in my opinion certainly cannot replace a Novatac 120P, but it may be enough for an EDC if you don't find the 120P a good EDC. I don't much like to carry the NovaTac lights due to the form factor unless I have a coat pocket. I really like the look of the E1-B with the Z68 tailcap, but otherwise I'm not too excited about it, however others love the way the stock light fits in their pockets. I can carry the E1-B it a cargo pocket even easier than the NovaTac.

I like the light, but if I had to choose 1 it would be the NovaTac, but I'd probably currently take the NovaTac over5 any other light if I could just have one... but the L0D is an incredible EDC so I'd say NovaTac and L0D are my favorite lights, but I'm liking the E1B and caring it a lot, not using it much, but carring it. The Blitz has also been getting pocket carry, it's a pretty good EDC.

Zenster

Enlightened
There's too many things about the E1B and the 120P that are different from each other to be able to clearly choose one over the other as an EDC light unless you can match their characteristics to your personal needs.

I carry my E1B at work every day and use it for lighting up the inside of equipment when doing adjustments and/or maintenance.
But the 120P with it's more usefully wider beam (but still with great throw) and it's ability to quickly choose any of four settings (all adjustable by the user) make the 120P a far superior EDC for "most" personal uses.

Oh, I forgot... get 'em both!

My .02

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I brought a 120T to replace my E1B as an EDC
I find the 120T just sits better in my hand.
Apart from that, as mentioned above, the 120 has a wider beam
while the E1B has a tighter beam.

Latest posts