Headlight for a boat

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this looks like as good a place as any.

I've got a 16 foot aluminum boat from which I will be catfishing, duck hunting, and hog hunting this winter. This means I'll be running the river at in the dark. The motor is an electric start 25hp Mercury. I currently have a deep cycle battery that powers the starter and VHF.

I need enough light to see logs in the river (deadheads) while running. Figure a max required runtime of 60 minutes (but more is better). I'm thinking of getting another deep cycle, installing it in a battery box, and mounting perhaps a car head light or two to the box (or clamping them to the bow) and then strapping the whole contraption to the bow deck as needed.

I'm not sure about a) what sort of bulb to use (regular headlight, 55 watt halogen utility light, KC Daylighter type set-up); b) what sort of runtime I'll get with each; and c) whether the generator on the motor is capable of charging two batteries and if so, what is running 16 ft of wire to the battery going to do.

Anyone care to take a stab at this. The upside is I'm not too concerned with howit looks as long as it works. BTW, I have a Streamlight Litebox. I'm thinking of something along these lines, just.... brighter.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this looks like as good a place as any.

I've got a 16 foot aluminum boat from which I will be catfishing, duck hunting, and hog hunting this winter. This means I'll be running the river at in the dark. The motor is an electric start 25hp Mercury. I currently have a deep cycle battery that powers the starter and VHF.

I need enough light to see logs in the river (deadheads) while running. Figure a max required runtime of 60 minutes (but more is better). I'm thinking of getting another deep cycle, installing it in a battery box, and mounting perhaps a car head light or two to the box (or clamping them to the bow) and then strapping the whole contraption to the bow deck as needed.

I'm not sure about a) what sort of bulb to use (regular headlight, 55 watt halogen utility light, KC Daylighter type set-up); b) what sort of runtime I'll get with each; and c) whether the generator on the motor is capable of charging two batteries and if so, what is running 16 ft of wire to the battery going to do.

Anyone care to take a stab at this. The upside is I'm not too concerned with howit looks as long as it works. BTW, I have a Streamlight Litebox. I'm thinking of something along these lines, just.... brighter.
I would get a POB HID. Should have enough runtime has tons of light, and is very cheap. I don't know what kind of voltage your boat runs but the light runs on 12 volts so you might even be able to wire directly to your existing electrical system.

By the way your username makes me want to puke. What is the meaning? Is this some kind of strange fruit? Or are you crazy for blood?

wirebender777

Newly Enlightened
I bass fish alot at night on the Coosa in Talladega and just wanted to mention that I have seen many boats pulled over by water patrol because they are running driving lights. Apparently, it makes it difficult to see your marker/running lights and is against the law. Check to make sure what you plan to do is legal before spending your hard earned cash. Happy fishing and pop a lip for me!

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
saabluster - not familiar with POB HID. I understand HID, but not POB. Can you elaborate a little?

RE: my username - it's an obscure reference in the first Shrek movie. It is mentioned one time while Shrek and donkey are looking at constellations. That's all I'm gonna say. ;)

wb - noted. I'll check.

Kevenater

Newly Enlightened
Hey bloodnut, pob stands for "power on board" it is the brand and sam's club sells them. can get them on ebay cheaper. the sams price is usually $89 in most stores. I can't find any in the stores here in north alabama when searching on the site. hope that helps u.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for covering my back there Kevenater. I forgot to come back and check the thread.
Hey bloodnut, pob stands for "power on board" it is the brand and sam's club sells them. can get them on ebay cheaper. the sams price is usually $89 in most stores. I can't find any in the stores here in north alabama when searching on the site. hope that helps u.