Beijing 2008 Olympic Games LED 'Torches'

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is any one noticing the LED 'torches' that spectators is carrying...

Oooh... the LED screen on the main floor... and the fireworks.. just amazing.

So what LED's they might be using? What batteries? any guesses?

Any CPF member is attending the games?

:twothumbs

ViReN
www.CPFReviews.com

Citivolus

Enlightened
There had to be millions of LEDs in use there.

I'm also curious about the LED screen on the floor. Close-ups looked like some kind of LRGB arrays, and the intensity implied 1 watt plus. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a worldwide LED shortage leading up to the games!

The wife and I were very impressed.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any pictures? I don't even watch much TV any more so won't have any idea what you guys are talking about LOL.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm also curious about the LED screen on the floor. Close-ups looked like some kind of LRGB arrays, and the intensity implied 1 watt plus. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a worldwide LED shortage leading up to the games!

We also watched it live... just a superb show... marvelous in fact...

China is world LED manufacturing base... no wonder there was no shortage :)

Did you see the dancers with LED suites... they did a spectacular job.

I am wondering what batteries were being used.... Both for the dancers as well as the spectators LED lights.

Kurapica

Newly Enlightened

Hi Citivolus,
China have some big LED manufacture. Their products have the same lumen with cree although the effeciency is low. But who cares how many power is used one night?:)

Kurapica

Newly Enlightened
Is any one noticing the LED 'torches' that spectators is carrying...

Oooh... the LED screen on the main floor... and the fireworks.. just amazing.

So what LED's they might be using? What batteries? any guesses?

Any CPF member is attending the games?

:twothumbs

ViReN
www.CPFReviews.com

Hi ViReN,
I live about 8km from the "Nest" and can see some fireworks through my window at 18th floor, but only can see a bit...

All the fireworks are made in LiuYang I think, the most famous firework of the world.

Mike V

Enlightened
Amazing, amazing opening ceremony.

LEDs everywhere, used in very cool ways.

Wish I could have been there to see it in person.

The swimming stadium with the LED lit roof is very cool too.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
omg omg omg omg that opening ceremony is wow.....that led floor.....and those projectors. :drool:

and the rediculous number of 5 and 10 degree Lekos they have in there is just outstanding.

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Haven't seen the whole Opening ceremony yet because it not yet being showed here at PST, but I can't wait! I saw some news clips earlier and it's quite impressive, gotta hand it down to the Chinese. They really did well preparing for the Games. I have a feeling that this may be the best Games ever.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched it live last night, definitely a spectacle to behold. Unfortunately here in the USA west coast, most of us are just about to watch it thanks to NBC... thank god for canadian television and the internet.
Too bad digital over the air TV is worse than analog broadcasts too... I can't even receive the NBC digital channel here but at least get a fuzzy picture with sound on analog. /sigh

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
There was an article in today's Raleigh News and Observer about the Cree company (it's local) and how they got the contract for all those LEDs. It said that Cree had recently bought a Chinese lighting company and had many employees over there, but that all the "chips" had been manufactured here in the Research Triangle Park (Durham). The article mentioned how Cree had started out with cell phone backlights and moved on to many more applications like street, parking lot, and home lighting. Oddly, for us, flashlights were never mentioned.

Geoff

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found this on a lighting forum called The Light Network:
as read on the MA site:

With the slogan "One World, One Dream" all nations were invited by the People's Republic of China to the Summer Olympics 2008, officially known as the Games of the XXIX Olympiad. The Opening Ceremony has been held in the Beijing National Stadium, - the "Bird's Nest" - which can seat as many as 91,000 spectators. More than 2,300 DMX controlled fixtures ( Martin 2000 wash and wash XB )and 45,000 parameters transformed the stadium into a never before seen sea of lights. 3 x grandMA full-size plus 3 x grandMA full-size as backup, 2 grandMA light as well as 46 x MA NSPs controlled the highly sophisticated lighting network during the Opening Ceremony.

"Afterwards, all of the fixtures needed to be given a position in the grandMA 3D world for the pre-programming sessions", adds Collison, "This gave us the chance to use the wireframe visualiser in the grandMA as well as being ready for grandMA 3D to come online. Each session only had two user profiles. One was for the operator, the other for administration. Each session was named with reference to it's colour as were the show files – red, green and blue."

"We now had to set-up the pre-programming studio at the Beijing Olympic Committee Headquarters. This existed in various modes but the one I liked the best was each session with it's visualiser on a plasma screen in front of them. This, combined with a projector fed from grandMA video, with each session blended in to form one picture worked a treat. It allowed the team to see their programming all at work. By beginning of May we started the transition from pre-programming to on-site. Fixture by fixture, truss by truss, the system came online. On June 12th, rehearsals began." On August 8th the Opening Ceremony attracted the attention of millions.

Altogether 2,342 fixtures were used for the show which consisted of, amongst others, 308 x Vari*Lite VL3500 spot, 316 x VL3000 spot, 180 x VL3500 wash, 112 x Clay Paky Alpha Wash 1200. The first session had 15,921 parameters with 14 MA NSPs and 834 fixtures, the second 13,503 parameters with 16 MA NSPs and 884 fixtures, the third session 15,987 parameters, with 16 MA NSP and 624 fixtures .

The video system under the creative direction of media artist Andree Verleger from Germany included 60 x media servers, 86 x Christie Roadster Projectors with Orbital Heads and 63 x Cinema Christie Projectors. HP Pro-Curve 2626 field switches, HP Pro-Curve 8212zl and kilometres of multi mode fiber optic cable were the backbone of the huge network. "I am absolutely excited about the professionalism and support I was getting also for "my" video part during all those month from MA Lighting and the entire lighting crew", states Verleeger. "This underlines how important it is that lighting and video are going hand in hand. This teamwork gave trust and an ongoing motivation to realize another record in this show: the world's largest projection screen with around 600m.

Sha Xiao Lan was the lighting designer, Paul collision in charge of the control system and the broadcast lighting. Feng Bin, Wu Guoquing and Huang Tao worked as grandMA programmers. Lighting assistants were Quan Xiaojie, Zhang Wei, Wang Zhiyi, Ma Jiebo and Wang Tong. As lighting production company worked CCTV – Central China Television in conjunction with Quan Jiang, Shang Hai Televison, Gong Ti, Bei Ao, and Feng Shang Shi Ji. ACE - Advanced Communication Equipment Co Ltd. was responsible for the technical realisation.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ViReN,
I live about 8km from the "Nest" and can see some fireworks through my window at 18th floor, but only can see a bit...

All the fireworks are made in LiuYang I think, the most famous firework of the world.
Thats nice. Is it possible to get hold of the lights the spectators were carrying?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was an article in today's Raleigh News and Observer about the Cree company (it's local) and how they got the contract for all those LEDs. It said that Cree had recently bought a Chinese lighting company and had many employees over there, but that all the "chips" had been manufactured here in the Research Triangle Park (Durham). The article mentioned how Cree had started out with cell phone backlights and moved on to many more applications like street, parking lot, and home lighting. Oddly, for us, flashlights were never mentioned.

Geoff
So its very possible that there are some cree xr e based lights