Most romantic flashlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristofg

Enlightened
What is acoording to you experts out here the most romantic flashlight? I'm thinking of something to replace candles here. I've tried the krill lamp extreme and with two or three of them, you get a nice effect and it's ok if they drop in the bath (it even ads some effect under water), but has anybody tried the mathmos bubble thingies or do you have better suggestions? The thing I'd like most would be if it flickered a little bit like a real flame or if it would change between different shades of red and orange for example.

paulr

Flashaholic
Photon Rave maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif? But what's wrong with candles?

Kristofg

Enlightened
I don' like candles because the wax which drips off is impossible to remove from textile, they leave soot on the ceiling when burning for a long time, I don' like to put them on the edge of a bath in case they fall down and I don't like open flames near my desk or bed.
Besides, if I'd like candles, I wouldn't be a a member here :) Romance is twice as sweet when emitted from a diode. (I really need to stop reading hardware documents and get out more)

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I'd always thought the Novigear was "romantic"...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
FalconFX... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kristofg -

ac_lwasher_lg.gif
?

They have a couple of similar lights at www.glow-bug.com

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
If FalconFX was going that way, I would say the Epoch4... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Epoch4?!?
I've got one of those things. It looks like a d***!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Then again, the FlickLite (sp) looks more...appropriate (more *****-like?) but I don't have one of those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did suggest a "flame" look (using red, orange, & yellow LEDs I think) to the Eternalight Zzz...Flame. That would look very cool with "fire" colors, but you probably don't want to drown it in the tub if the sticker covering the "straw hole" at the bottom of the light (remember, it's made from a water bottle) is looking ratty.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say forget the romance and get a Surefire M6! You'll be much happier in the end! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Kristofg

Enlightened
I really like the one FalconFX suggested. Only problem is that i have 240V AC and that would give a bit more fireworks than I'm hoping for.
I went to some adventure stores to take a look at what they had to offer and came back with... a black diamond moonbeam. Smeg, that wasn't what I had in mind, but then again, I couldn't resist it. It was just so convenient and bright and had all the right shapes... So one of these days it's going to be a mathmos bubble lamp or an Eternalight Zzz...Flame (if I ever find one over here) but first, I'm going to have to practice getting past the Petzl and Black diamond equipment without getting distracted.
Then again, replacing my TL lamps with a red lightbulb as suggested by Brightnorm might be more efficient. A "naked" lightbulb, what a turn-on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mini-mag with the standard incandecent bulb, with the bezel removed (I think the package calls it candle mode), placed at a distance, so that one would never have to look at the bulb, would give a very nice, warm, yellow light.

Any 2 dollar knock off of a mini mag should work just as well. I have seen many 2 dollar 2 AA cell lights.

The nice thing about this, is that they are all over the place.

The one thing you don't want to do, is to have direct close eye contact with the light. In other words, they would not make a nice center pice for a dinner, unless you figured out a way to put a "shade" on them.

Kristofg

Enlightened
Great idea BuddTX! I completely forgot about the maglights candle mode. I think I'll put some transparent red plastic foil over the top. Either that or some orange/red nail-polish on the bulbs themselves should do the trick.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert on the subject of romance whatsoever, but for creating ambience, I'd probably say the Zzz..Lite/Flame, or *dives off to rummage through the LED museum which is permenantely open in the other IE window* or the various Sauce products (Light Saucer/Sprite/Wand/washer). None of which I have or have any first hand experience with though.

Kristofg

Enlightened
It turns out that all the women I've asked the same question respond with "What can be more romantic than candlelight?" This isn't going to be as easy as I had hoped. Mu last option is an RGB panel-wall which can change color according to the mood.
http://www.thelightingcrew.be/docs/RGB/RGB.htm
And if that fails, I give in and I'll get a bunch of low-tech candles from Ikea.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
The one thing you don't want to do, is to have direct close eye contact with the light. In other words, they would not make a nice center pice for a dinner, unless you figured out a way to put a "shade" on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about using an empty film canister on the top for a shade? I think there was a thread about using them on Arcs a while back.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.