E1B after a L1?

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

i already have about 10 Surefires and the last one i bought was an L1 (cree)
I'd just like to know if it would be a good idea to buy the E1B....

Is there a big output and throw difference between the E1B and L1?

Thanks for your help!

greenLED

Flashaholic
The Backup has brighter high and dimmer low than the L1.

Beam pattern is pretty much the same.

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Get it, you won't be disappointed. I'm kicking myself for waiting until this Wednesday.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Both are excellent lights, while I admit my LI is a ML1, I use and enjoy both in my EDC rotation.

Life is short.........get a E1B, ya know ya will :) later down the line.

Bill

H2Orower

Enlightened
I say, buy the E1B. :thumbsup: ... I think you'll really like it.

My L1 cree and E1B both have nice smooth beams, but my E1B is noticeably brighter with a slightly tighter more concentrated beam. The L1 was the first SF I bought, but it's the last one I will pick up and use. I much prefer my E1B.

The one fault I did find with the E1B was the "slippery" factor of the melted design. The addition of a Z68 or defender tailcap resolves that issue beautifully and improved the light in my opinion. It also creates a means to attach a lanyard if you like.

GPB

Enlightened
Did you ever hear the expression: " Never ask a barber if you need a haircut"

You could just as easily say " Never ask a bunch of light nuts if you should buy a light"

I don't have many quality lights, but I practically get giddy when I think about using my E1B. I have been making up reasons to go out to the shed in the back yard the last few nights....I love being able to throw a beam like that, from such a small package.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
And it's pictures just like H2Orower's that pushed me over the edge. I have an E1B and Z68 tailcap on order. I say go for it!!

matt0

Enlightened
Yup, all those pictures H20rower kept posting when he got the Z68 made me want one too. Soon after, my E1B had a Z68 tail on it. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beams are really similar with the E1B's one slightly more powerful. The two UI's are different. E1B is significantly smaller.

You can surely enjoy both lights. :)

cimg11122xl8.jpg

:cool:

Size15's

Flashaholic
My L1 is not any less bright than my E1B so I don't have that motivation to carry the E1B. I personally find the dual output clickie UI annoying, and the E1B is too short for my hand just like the E1L so it isn't racking up points so far.
The two-way PocketClip is neat for bezel-long, short-bodied flashlights like the E1B, E1L but I have no need for it on the L1.

I guess each person must decide for themselves.

My L1 is not any less bright than my E1B so I don't have that motivation to carry the E1B. I personally find the dual output clickie UI annoying, and the E1B is too short for my hand just like the E1L so it isn't racking up points so far.
The two-way PocketClip is neat for bezel-long, short-bodied flashlights like the E1B, E1L but I have no need for it on the L1.

I guess each person must decide for themselves.

Man, you call it just like you see it, and I without question respect that. My definition of an EDC is the exact opposite of what your needs are, but I am still not stupid enough to acknowledge that your opinion is not correct. I believe you are an asset to the community.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of on topic, but what tail cap can I put on my L1 (Gen5?) that will make it one stage, as, like SIZE 15's, the two-stage tail cap annoys the heck out of me. Thanks for any help!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kind of on topic, but what tail cap can I put on my L1 (Gen5?) that will make it one stage, as, like SIZE 15's, the two-stage tail cap annoys the heck out of me. Thanks for any help!
I apologise that I have not been more clear - I love SureFire's two-stage push button pressure switch UI as used by the L1, L2, A2, K2 & 10X.
I find the dual output selection via clicking UI annoying (in fact any UI that requires any number of switch tapping or twisting to switch modes)

There is no other TailCap for the L1 - not even aftermarket alternatives that I'm aware of.

Al

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

I think that i will stick with my L1....and wait for something more different.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help Size 15...also, can you verify the Gen of my L1? It has the squared body, domed Lens, and the short clip. (Ser. A14431). No markings on the head except "the caution hot surface". I'm not overly impressed with it anymore, and was thinking about putting it up for trade, for something more compatible with my E-Series collection, but I wanted to make sure of the Gen before advertising it. Thanks!

Size15's

Flashaholic
angelofwar
Without a photo, off the cuff I can say it doesn't sound like the current L1.
Perhaps somebody with some more time (I'm at my parents and dipping in and out of the internet) could find the thread with the photos of the different generations CPF members have given the evolution of the L1 (please)

Al