electrolumens p7

djenkins

Newly Enlightened
hey have any of you bought one of the p7 mags from electrolumes??? i was looking them and they say they're 930 lumens?? i was just wondering b/c i was thinkin of gettin a triple from malkoff and wondered if the 930 was accurate or how it compared??:thinking:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it be 930 lumens?

It all depends. Short answer is probably not.

Long answer:
The 900 lumen figure is what the LED is theoretically able to produce. You could get lucky and get a super performing LED (LEDs aren't all created equal... they vary from one to the next even if they were made side by side at the same time).
It will depend upon the battery driving the LED. A light is only as good as the cells powering it.
Let's say you use good cells and get a great performing LED that actually makes 930 lumens. Then your M@g has to collect a lot of those lumens with the reflector. It won't catch them all. Then the reflector has to bounce those photons forward. Nothing in this world is 100% reflective so you'll loose some there too.
Then if you're using a stock M@g window you'll loose a lot more light than if you used a higher quality window with anti reflective coatings. But again no window is 100% transparent so you'll loose some photons there as well.
So in the end even if you get lucky with a 930 lumen LED and you do everything right, you're still not going to actually get all 930 lumens.
Will the Malkoff be better than the Elektrolumens? Hard to say. They're both likely ridiculously bright and both worth the money imho. Does the Malkoff have the potential to be brighter yes. But the human eye won't be able to tell the difference between 700 lumens and 740 lumens.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I had Wayne do two of the P7 conversions on two new maglights that I purchased in special colors and for that he deducted 18.00 per light.
The quality is first rate. Wayne takes a brute force approach to handling the P7 by incorporating a heavy pressed in heat sink and it works perfectly. These lights DO NOT get hot. I have posted before about these lights here on CPF. They are incredibly bright. The only change I did was to add the UCL lens to the lights after I got them back as Wayne said that would give me about 8% more light.
I feel that this is a better deal than the Malkoff because its less expensive than the Malkoff and Wayne provides the light in Black for 138.00 (unless he has raised his prices)( new note I just checked and Wayne is offering this for 129.99 an EVEN BETTER DEAL on the 3D Light) and the Malkoff is 158.00 and you can't get them half the time because he's always sold out . While I love Malkoffs products and own some of them this is especially irritating when you want one. In addtion Malkoff retracted his first attempt into the P7 and went to a triple Q5 assembly because he was unhappy with the results. Wayne has it locked down as far as I'm concerned.
This light is brighter than a lot of expensive high end flashlights and is probably the best bang for the buck in a led conversion. I power mine with the Accupower low loss 10,000 MAH D size NIMH batteries charged on the Maha 808 charger. This is a sweet setup. You will not be diappointed in the Elektrolumens P7.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The modified maglight that Elektrolumens makes is a dedicated single unit if I understand correctly, yes? You can't take the head out and drop it into any other maglight because the maglight has been modified extensively to make it work with the EL module? If this is true that would be a deal breaker to me.

The Malkoff unit will drop into any 2C to 4D unit and run up to but not exceed 6V, 4 high current capacity rated NiMH will run it very well and the host is not a concern. I like the EL unit but I think the versatility of the Malkoff, its robustness, true simple drop in, make a it a great deal. I am of the belief that its a good 700 real lumens out the front which is fine for me, using at least 3 C cells or greater based on what I see comparing it to multiple 220 lumen (measured) lights. I have switched it in and out of my 3C, 4C and 4D lights back and forth with no problems at all, and that is part of the beauty of it. When I want to use it for tactical shooting practice it goes into a 3C, when I want to light up the neighborhood for potentially several hours, it can go into the 4D. Yeah it cost a little more, but to me its worth every penny.

And this is in no way a put down of the EL unit. If you get a dedicated P7 unit and it works for you and you find that a good value, I ain't complaining. We all have different needs and values in the arena of photonic distribution.

My guess is that the EL unit probably puts out just a little more out the front lumens from the P7, maybe a total of 800, Not the end of the world difference to me.

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
Yes , its pretty much a permanet mod but then that contributes to its reliability. Wayne has hard wired the switch directly to the P7 emitter in addtion to the massive heat sink that is press fitted to the unit.
If Wayne is claiming 930 lumens , I have no reason to doubt him because these units look like that kind of output when compared to other high output lights including some high power incan modded lights. Versitility is nice but I have different lights for different applications and I for one am not prone to switch one unit around for one need then switch it around for another. I like dedicated lights that are task specific to avoid problems. As you said each person has to find what works best for them.