Problem with the TIROS and tailswitch in a T1

cyberspyder

Enlightened
It cracked:

dsc02124bt4.jpg

dsc02128mb5.jpg

There is a hairline crack all the way through the TIROS...now I don't know if it would spread and eventually fall apart, but just as a heads-up...perhaps I should return it to Inova, but they'll probably give me a 'new' 2008 version not the TIROS...so a dilemma.

Also...the light flickers alot...seems like if I press harder on the switch the LED becomes brighter, but if I let go (this is in constant-on mode) it dims back down. It has a tendency to cycle between a dim high and a really bright high...minor SNAFUs.

Brendan

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call up Inova customer service and tell them your problem. I'm sure they have NOS replacement parts for their lights.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a half dozen Tiros lights and they all have a visible line, or "crack" it is normal. It does not effect it in the least. Inova is usually very good about sending out new switches as I understand, never had to use their customer service myself.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope :rolleyes:
... because I use my T1s just as hosts, get that optic out and also swap the crappy built switch with one designed for a Streamlight Scorpion (needs some solder work)

PS: that one TIROS I still have here, does not show any crack

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TIROS is supposed to have a mold seam that goes all the way across and is usually dead center. It should not hurt anything. Yours appears to be off center. Going all the way across doesn't mean it goes all the way down in depth. I took one apart one time. It is a deep optical piece. It may simply be your mold seam is offcenter.

I would typically shine a small red laser across the so called crack and see if it has any depth to it, or a small well focused blue or green light.

It probably won't hurt anything at all regardless of what it is. However the switch problem is an issue. Inova will warranty it and make it right regardless. That's what warrantees are for.

My original unit only started to flicker after I tried to take it apart and started to get things loose inside. I was never successfull in exposing the board that has the LED. However looking at the construction it would appear next to impossible to actually break that TIROS from externally abuse. I dropped mine on a concrete floor repeatedly and could not break it that way.

But I did ruin the housing in the manner I took it apart, so I didn't bother to ask for a repair or replacement, I just ate the cost as a learning experiment.