Has your Smart PD piston changed colour?

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
New, relatively unhandled EX10

IMG_0992-080808-Edit.jpg

Slightly older and more used D10

IMG_0989-080808-Edit.jpg

I'm not complaining, I like the colour change and the EX10 is certainly going to end up looking the worse for wear when it goes on my keys. I just wondered if anyone else's had done it (and felt like playing with my camera and wasting bandwidth with a largely frivolous thread).

Kev.

jbviau

Enlightened
I posted about this in another thread a while back but didn't manage to generate much discussion. On my first EX10 the button part of the piston changed color too (to something like dull bronze). Looks like my second EX10 will have the same thing happen. The button is nickel-plated, and it can tarnish. You could probably remove the tarnish (assuming that's what it is) if you were so inclined.

manoloco

Enlightened
i think it happens to all smart pd piston drives, my EX10 is like that too, i consider it personalized with my fingerprint :D

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Mine was also discoloring some. Although it's not a big deal to me, a little bit of metal polish brought it back even brighter than when it was new.

jchoo

Enlightened
Yep, mine too. If you have particularly acidic skin then the chemical change is more pronounced, it's just the way that nickel reacts to acid.

jbviau

Enlightened
Mine was also discoloring some. Although it's not a big deal to me, a little bit of metal polish brought it back even brighter than when it was new.

I've never used metal polish. Favorite brand? Cheaper would be better in my book.

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Yep, mine too. If you have particularly acidic skin then the chemical change is more pronounced, it's just the way that nickel reacts to acid.
Hmmm? I wonder why some people have more acid in there shin/system than others?:shrug:
Must be in there blood.:popcorn:

Nick2cd

Newly Enlightened
I would think that skin acidity has something to do with it as well as the fact that current is flowing through the piston. When the current is applied the tarnish builds up from the dissimilarity of the two metals. It's like a slow, ongoing chemical reaction.