• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Help me build a dental exam light

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensei

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. Newbie here. I am a dentist looking to design a better exam light and was hoping to get some help from the experts here.

I see mainly kids and they hate the $2500 exam light shining in their eyes. I am hoping to build an LED exam light with a focus nearly as tight as the dental headlamps so it doesn't get in the little kiddies eyes. I have looked around and the type of light I am searching for just doesn't exist --- yet.

Another big bonus is that I'm thinking this isn't going to cost but a fraction of what the lights from the suppliers cost.

Here's a rough drawing so you have an idea what I am looking for.

The housing parts should be pretty cheap to come by from Home Depot. As long as I have a metal housing, I should have plenty of heatsink, right?

Here is my initial parts list. These are all from luxeonstar.com

LED: Luxeon K2 Star 100 lumens@1000mA -- 5027-PW14

Lens: L2 3degree Spot Base module for Lux. K2 --OPK2-1-003

Diffusers: I'll be trying a couple to see which is best - if I want one at all
L2 6degree spot diffuser sublens --OPK2-1-DIF6
L2 4degree x 24degree Oval sublens --OPK2-1-4275

AC Driver: I will have the electrician hard wire these in so I don't have to worry about changing batteries all the time.

Xitanium 120 VAC 25w, 1050 mA driver --LED120A0024V1OF
One of these drivers should be enough to power two of these lights, right? Any way one driver could power 4?

Do you guys see any compatibility issues or anything I might be missing?

Thanks

sensei

Newly Enlightened
One other quick question. The 6 degree lens and any needed diffusers should allow better beam focus than a collimator, right. The tightest collimator I have found for the Luxeons is 10 degree. Thanks again.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, sensei.

Your duplicate thread is in the right sub-forum, so I'll close this one and you can receive replies there.

Status
Not open for further replies.