Not a spotlight, but a great throwing flashlight.

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a flashlight I can slide into my pocket or even just down my pant leg. Doesn't have to be small but don't want a large blocky light.

I prefer warmer beams as it's easier to spot detail.

Should run on batteries I can charge on a WF-139.

Should throw for 300+ yards yet have a little flood. The aspheric mag beams are a bit too narrow from the beamshots I've seen.

The Deree DBS, Tiablo A9 and Wolf Eyes Explorer series might be suggested here, but I dont think they throw quiet enough.

Under a Benjamin would be great.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anything pocketable can throw that far, 200 yard sure, but 300 yard is too much for any pocket sized thrower.

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
I don't think anything pocketable can throw that far, 200 yard sure, but 300 yard is too much for any pocket sized thrower.

I thought so, but wanted opinions of the professionals. Looks like I may be in the market for an aspherical mag.

Other suggestions still welcome.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just occured to me, can a mag hotwire with smooth reflector throw that far? Focus is not the best but the sheer amount of light can probably make it.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just occured to me, can a mag hotwire with smooth reflector throw that far? Focus is not the best but the sheer amount of light can probably make it.
The Sarge is right. With reflectors, generally more reflector = more throw.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I might have to go count off some paces to figure out how far it is that I point my lights out across the yard here. Seems like the ROP low bulb in a smooth reflector might work fine. You can run it in a stock 2C mag on a pair of 18500s without much work, just a pipe to shim the cells into the center, and bend the spring over, a pair of 18650s has been done by some people by modifying the tailcap, I haven't been able to make that fit personally, so no guarantees.

The ROP low has a very tight beam in a smooth reflector, and lays down 500+ bulb lumens in this type of configuration. Some of the LED throwers may have slightly tighter focus and cleaner looking beams, but I think the ROP low would win in usefulness in the field :)

Eric

Beer

Enlightened
I might have to go count off some paces to figure out how far it is that I point my lights out across the yard here. Seems like the ROP low bulb in a smooth reflector might work fine. You can run it in a stock 2C mag on a pair of 18500s without much work, just a pipe to shim the cells into the center, and bend the spring over, a pair of 18650s has been done by some people by modifying the tailcap, I haven't been able to make that fit personally, so no guarantees.

The ROP low has a very tight beam in a smooth reflector, and lays down 500+ bulb lumens in this type of configuration. Some of the LED throwers may have slightly tighter focus and cleaner looking beams, but I think the ROP low would win in usefulness in the field :)

Eric

Thats waht I was thinking at first as well, but I'm still not sure it would have enough "oompf." My ROP LO is running of 7 enloops and is BY FAR the best thrower for it's size that I have. But a few weeks ago I was out at a farm on a moonless night and had it with me. On fresh batteries I shined it at some trees 162 yards away and it lit them, but not enough to be usefull. Then I tried some trees at 236 yards and the light pratically got swallowed. It just didn't seem to do anything. :shakehead

mdocod

Flashaholic
yea- I walked it off last night and estimate ~100 yard range is going to be the useful limit in some circumstances,

It's very important to consider that useful range is heavily determined by ambient light competition. When we shut the mercury HID off that's under the peak of the garage, the yard and woods go very close to pitch dark, and the usefulness of a lesser flashlight grows substantially.

I'm thinking to light up an object at 300 yards, with enough lux to really see what's going on, is going to take another level of performance here not found in any ordinary LED throwers or small-time mag-mods.

I'm thinking you might want to check out some throwmastering style mag-mods in the 50+ watt categories, or HID options, like maybe an AE powerlight, or 24W boxer.

Eric

arty

Enlightened
600 yards is about 4 city blocks. I can see >1 1/2 city blocks using a Maglite and a Malkoff dropin....
That is far enough for me.

kansasfarmer

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure you need 300 yards? That will be hid territory not much flood, not very pocketable. I would recommend a rop hi or mag 85 with 2.5" throwmaster or 3" head. But neither would fit in your pocket or reach 300 yards and let you see much.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Well if you're going to give up on the pocketable part, and you don't like the great suggestions above, take a look at the Wolf Eyes Boxer 24w hid. It's small enough to carry in a belt holster and except maybe for the $2500 (or higher) Polarions, should be unbeatable in the throw and output department for it's size. New it's priced in the 300's and I just saw a used one in the marketplace. You can buy it new here.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Have to agree that the boxer may be the closest match to your requirements. Probably not perfect, but not bad either.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
300 yards is a pretty big throw. You're going to need a lot of light to reach that far and not be just a "spot." Definitely HID territory.
:D